Ribbons attribution clarification please

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

elpaco

Ribbons attribution clarification please

Post by elpaco »

I am wondering about the conditions of attribution of the HPS (and BattleGround) Ribbons :

according to http://www.unioneaglesonline.com/UA_Awa ... s_hps.html, these ribbons are 'Awarded for five Major Victories in a particular HPS game regardless of scenario length. '
It doesnot give any more details although when I look at the Battlefield Ribbons Page, I can read :
'Game must be a Battle against a member of the CSA side,
Maneuvers are not eligible. '

as this last sentence is not written in the HPS ribbon Page, does it mean a maneuver is eligible for the attribution of the HPS ribbon or is it implied (but not written) that only battles are eligible ?

second question :
what about multi-player battles. are these eligible for the attribution of both battelfields and HPS ribbons ? or are they not ?

I hope I am clear enough
thanks a lot for your answer(s)
Lt. Gen. Francois Chatain
CO XX corps and Adjutant, AotC
Red Badge of Courage Tournament Deputy Director
krmiller_usa
AotS

Re: Ribbons attribution clarification please

Post by krmiller_usa »

Having been a member of both study committees for Union Awards and as the person who maintains the Awards site I can say that Battlefield Awards are given only for victories against CSA members, maneuvers and training games do not qualify for Battlefield Awards. I did not realize this was not posted on all such award pages and will fix it at my earliest convenience.

Regarding MP games I cannot recall if they were actually discussed, perhaps another member of the Awards Committee can will recall but personally as a former Army CO I made such awards to all members of my army who took part in a Multiplayer Battle that qualified, in other words if it was a battle between a USA team and a CSA team and qualified for an award it was given. I also counted MP victories towards the 5 Major Victories needed for a BG or HPS Ribbon.
Gen. Ken Miller

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/3/I
CoS
AotP
elpaco

Post by elpaco »

krmiller wrote:Having been a member of both study committees for Union Awards and as the person who maintains the Awards site I can say that Battlefield Awards are given only for victories against CSA members, maneuvers and training games do not qualify for Battlefield Awards. I did not realize this was not posted on all such award pages and will fix it at my earliest convenience.
thanks Ken for your answer
actually, the trouble is not for the Battlefiel awards where it is written that only battles qualify but for the HPS ribbon for 5 victories where nothing is written
elpaco

Post by elpaco »

while I am on the subject, I have one more question :

why is there 2 HPS ribbons bestowed for HPS Antietam : Bull run and Antietam.
Is the BR award attributed for 5 major victories in the battles of 1st Bull Run only, or 1St and 2nd, or 1st and 2nd and the battles connected to 2n Bull Run (Chantilly for example) ?
thanks
krmiller_usa
AotS

Post by krmiller_usa »

why is there 2 HPS ribbons bestowed for HPS Antietam : Bull run and Antietam.
For a brief answer to your question.

HPS BULL RUN (RIB-HPS_1BR.gif) - This award given for winning five Major Victories in the HPSCN Bull Run games regardless of scenario lengths. The “Bull Run” games include all games listed with the exception of South Mountain, Hagerstown and Antietam.

HPS ANTIETAM (RIB-HPS_ANT.gif) - This award given for winning five Major Victories in the HPSCN Antietam games regardless of scenario lengths. The “Antietam” games include all those scenarios composing South Mountain, Hagerstown and Antietam.

I believe this was done because these were 2 separate awards for winning 5 Mahjor Victories in the old BG system as you can see on the Battleground Ribbons page.

BG BULL RUN (RIB-CAM_BGBR.gif)
BG ANTIETAM (RIB-CAM_BGN.gif)

By the way at the bottom of the Main Page at the Awards site is a link for downloading a pdf file covering all the scenarios and awards for the HPS Antietam/Bull Run, BGBR and BGN (Antietam) games and mods. This gives a list of all the known scenarios and the ribbons, if any, they qualify for in both the HPS and BG engines. There is another such file for HPS Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville and the various mods for those campaigns. Unfortunately similar files have not yet been completed for the other campaigns.

Although some armies have someone who checks the DoR monthly for Battle/Campaign awards if you know you qualify for an award a note to your DC or CC on your Muster Report will help ensure you are given credit for them. Having been Awards Officer at the AotS and CoS at the AotP I've suggested to officers that when closing a battle from an HPS Campaign that results in a Campaign Victory, a note in the comments section saying battle resulted in a victory in the campaign makes it easier for someone checking the Monthly Army Battles Report to note the award.
Gen. Ken Miller

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/3/I
CoS
AotP
elpaco

Post by elpaco »

Thanks Ken for your help

the 2 files about Antietam and Chancellorsville are an impressive piece of work.
is the committee planning to extend these to the other campaigns or not ?

I have some spare time during the summer and would be happy to contribute. I am certainly unable to create a beautiful document like the ones I read (unless someone sends me the frame General Meyer used) but can certainly spend some time creating a list with all the battles and study the awards that should be attributed to each battle.
The Campaign I know best is Vicksburg. Please tell me if it would be useful that I work on this one of if you think I should use by spare time on something else ...
thanks
Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

Col. Chatain, I will be contacting you privately to arrange your work with you regarding the Vicksburg guide! I have been deluged with admin duties this month, so you will have to forgive me for the lateness of this reply.
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

elpaco

Post by elpaco »

No Problem General, I will be waiting for your dispatch.
the sooner the better please, I will be on vacation on the 18th of August but have plenty of time till this day.

i will also have some time after my vacation but less of course ...