Civil War battleground visits

Postings of Civil War history, items of period interest, and book and author recommendations.
cruces

Civil War battleground visits

Post by cruces »

It has been a while, so I will open this up to the group. Who has been, or plans to visit a Civil War Battlefield this summer?

Lt. Gen. Elkin
warhorse123

Re: Civil War battleground visits

Post by warhorse123 »

Im about 7 years late on this post but I have been to Gettysburg around 20 times and earlier this year, visited Antietam for the first time.
ken jones

Post by ken jones »

How can you go to Gettysburg 20 times and not drive down the road and visit Antietam? Not a bad drive -- all nice country. The Baltimore Bike Club does an annual ride from Thurston, Md to Gettysburg and back -- 50-miles. Its well supported and the route changes from year to year but there is always Little Round Top.
K. Crist

Post by K. Crist »

I have been to Gettysburg several times, Antietam 3 times, Bull Run more times than Gettysburg (had family in Manassas, VA for decades), Fredericksburg once, but surprisingly never to Harper's Ferry for some reason. Odd.
MG Kenneth Crist, USV
3rd Division, XV Corps
Army of the Tennessee
shsober

Post by shsober »

I grew up in the fifties sledding the hill at Fort Bayard in Washington,in DC. It protected the approach to DC from River Road. I now live close to Bentonville, NC. In between I've been to just about every battlefield in the East in PA, MD, VA, and yet to visit any in NC. Add Fort Sumter. So many.
Maj. Gen. Steve Sober, ACWGC
1st "Vincit Qui Patitur" Division, XV Corps
Army of the Tennessee
UMA Chief of Staff