AJ Smith article from NY TIMES July 1864

Postings of Civil War history, items of period interest, and book and author recommendations.
cruces

AJ Smith article from NY TIMES July 1864

Post by cruces »

IMPORTANT FROM MEMPHIS.; The Expedition Under General A. J. Smith. A Series of Battles With Forrest's and Faulkner's Rebel Forces. THE REBELS WHIPPED EVERY TIME.
Published: July 21, 1864

Source: <http://www.nytimes.com/1864/07/21/news/ ... est-s.html>

MEMPHIS, Tuesday, July 19.

I am indebted to one of Gen. WASHBURNE'S staff officers for the following highly important intelligence:

On the 5th inst. Gen. WASHBURNE sent out a force of infantry, cavalry and artillery from La Grange, under Maj.-Gen. A.J. SMITH and Brig.-Gens. MOWER and GRIERSON, with instructions to move in pursuit of the rebel Gen. FORREST, bring him to bay, fight and whip him.

Gen. SMITH was ordered to pursue him to Columbus, Miss., if he did not overtake him this side.

A dispatch from Gen. SMITH to Gen. WASHBURNE received to-day, says we have met FORREST, LEE and WALKER at Tupelo, and whipped them badly on three different days. Our loss is small compared to that of the rebels. I bring back everything in good order. Not anything is lost.

A scout has since arrived at Lagrange, and reports the enemy's loss at 250, and their defeat overwhelming.

It is also stated by persons who have come in that the rebel Gen. FAULKNER and Col. FORREST were killed, and that Gen. FORREST was wounded in the foot, and his horse and equipments captured.

From other sources I learn that Gen. SMITH met Gen. FORREST at Pontotoc on Wednesday, the 13th inst., fought him on that day, and on Thursday and Friday, driving him below Tupelo, and whipping him badly in five different battles.

Our loss is said to be less than three hundred, while that of the rebels is over two thousand.

Col. WALKER, of the Ninth Minnesota, who commanded a brigade, was killed.

The weather here continues very warm.

The steamer Mepham leaves for the White River to-night, laden to her guards.

The steamer Pauline Cornell is reported hard aground below.

The steamer Belle takes 106 bales of cotton for St. Louis.

Good middling cotton is selling at $1 46 per pound.