Promotion for LT Ray Matthews

ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE'S OPEN FORUM. Primary, open source facility for all AotT news, Award Parades, announcements, chatter and good cheer.
Pony Soldier

Promotion for LT Ray Matthews

Post by Pony Soldier »

Members of the Army of the Tennessee.

I am pleased to announce that the President of the United States has expressed his trust in the fidelity and courage of LT Ray Matthews by promoting him to Captain of Volunteers in the United States Army. Captain Matthews' promotion recognizes his valor on the battlefield along with his Spartan work ethic as Aide-de-Camp to the Commander of the Army opf the Tennessee.

('Bring me another Grande Machiotto, Lieutenant, er Captain.' 'Yessir! Right away Sir!, May I say that you look particularly martial today, Sir?')

It has long been a tradition in the Army that a newly promoted officer will throw a promotion party for his fellows using the difference between his old monthly base pay and his new monthly base pay to finance the food, libations and "entertainment" for said party.

I call on all officers of the Army of the Tennessee to support Captain Matthews in his effort to throw the most memorable promotion party in history. I am certain that Captain Matthews recalls the lines from the old Army standby, 'Benny Havens:'

In the Army there's sobriety, promotion's very slow.
So we're singing sentimentally, and We're going for to go...

Since the promotion block has been broken, we might as well throw sobriety out as well!

v/r

Dan Peterjohn
Major General, USV
2nd Division, XVI Corps, Army of the Tennessee
Commanding
Dan Peterjohn
General, United States Volunteers
4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, XVI Corps
Commanding
Joe Meyer

Re: Promotion for LT Ray Matthews

Post by Joe Meyer »

By all the saints, Gen'l Peterjohn, I believe that you are correct! What manner of men would we be if we did not take advantage of this opportunity to assist the new captain in his first traditional exercise within this army? I have an old case of California port wine that goes exceptionally well with beefsteak and some Mexican seegarillos that have a sharp bite to them. :D

Congratulations, Captain!
General Jos. C. Meyer, ACWGC UA
Commander, Union Army of the Tennessee

D.S. Walter

Post by D.S. Walter »

Congratulations, Captain Matthews. I suppose a whiskey would be in order. Can't imagine it's not being served in an Army of the Tennessee tavern, in spite of all that talk of port and stuff by your refined AC. :lol:
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
"... and keep moving on."
http://www.acwgc-usa.org/
Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

I suppose that it's part of my "old California ranchero manners" that impells me to try to put a smoother edge on this group of hard-hitting AoT fighters. They say that the Army of the Tennessee came up snarling out of the Mississippi mud when old U.S. Grant snapped his fingers. They are a tough-lookin', straight-shootin', mean and onry gang of cusses that don't back down from a fight of any kind. I'd be shocked if they didn't have to stamp some of that mud off their boots each time they came in here! :shock:

rehartwig

Post by rehartwig »

Drinks on the Captain? Sounds like my kind of party. Captain, to blazes with a Grande Marchiotto, I'll have a fine Wisconsin beer....yes I know it is breakfast time.
Gen Randy Hartwig
3rd Brigade, Third (1st) Cavalry Division, XVth Corps
AoT, USA
Pony Soldier

Post by Pony Soldier »

Gentlemen of the Army of the Tennessee,

Once more I find myself congratulating Captain Ray Matthews for yet another promotion; this time to Major! The meteoric rise of this Wunderkind of the Western Theater is truly phenomenal. I caution both Generals Meyer and Walter to watch their respective backs!

This situation brings up a point of order for Major Matthews' promotion party. Is he obligated to contribute both the differences in base pay from Lieutenant and Captain as well as from Captain and Major? Since he hasn't been a Captain long enough to actually get paid as one, perhaps it would be unfair to expect such largesse.

We should refer this matter to the Staff Judge Advocate.

However, until we get a legal ruling; My vote is for the BIG Party!

Dan Peterjohn
Major General, USV
2nd Division, XVI Corps, Army of the Tennessee
Commanding
Dan Peterjohn
General, United States Volunteers
4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, XVI Corps
Commanding
D.S. Walter

Post by D.S. Walter »

I believe the Salomonic ruling would be that since the major hasn't been a captain anyway he is to offer drinks up to the difference between the respective pay of major and lieutenant. I believe that was the deal when I jumped from captain to lt. colonel, skipping major entirely. (That's so long ago best don't ask me how long.;) )

Anyway, congratulations, Major Matthews. You'll turn those oak leaves to silver before the party is over!
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
"... and keep moving on."
http://www.acwgc-usa.org/
Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

Why don't we all simply sit here and drink up all the liquor as Maj. Matthews rushes in and out telling us what rank he happens to be on each trip? That way we won't have to lose our places at the tables! ;)

R. Matthews

Post by R. Matthews »

Gentlemen,

Your congratulations (and comments) have been both priceless and much appreciated. My only rejoinder is to General Hartwig reminding him that beer is the breakfast of champions (like the AoT). Drink up boys, its all on me (hopefully we'll meet one day so I can make good on that statement).

Lt. (na), Capt. (na) Major Matthews