HPS Checklist for Windows 7

ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE'S OPEN FORUM. Primary, open source facility for all AotT news, Award Parades, announcements, chatter and good cheer.
Pony Soldier

HPS Checklist for Windows 7

Post by Pony Soldier »

Gentlemen,

Please find below a simple checklist for loading HPS games onto Windows 7. This is a combined effort by myself and Generals Elkin and Horrocks. I anyone should find an error or ambiguous instructions, please let me know and I will correct the checklist.

Dan Peterjohn

STEP ONE

Load Your Game into a Folder Other Than the default
e.g. C:\program files\HPS simulations\campaign whatever

1. Create a new HPS folder on "C" drive or any other drive you want to use, for instance your "F" drive or an external hard drive.

- Double Left click on your C (or whichever) Drive to open it

-Right Click in the opened C-Drive

-When the Box opens up Select 'NEW'

-You will see a new folder in Your C:Drive:Right Click on the Folder and Select 'RENAME'

-Type 'HPS' to rename the Folder.

NOTE: You may choose to skip the next step and save your games directly into the C://HPS Folder you just created. I prefer this extra step to keep the files separate.

2. Create a new Folder inside the HPS Folder.

- Double Left Click on your new 'HPS' Folder to open it

-Right Click in the opened HPS Folder

-When the Box opens up Select 'NEW'; Then Select 'FOLDER'

-You will see a new folder inside your HPS Folder::Right Click on the Folder and Select 'RENAME'

-Rename your new Folder 'HPS ATLANTA' (Or whatever game you're loading)

3. Repeat step 2 for each HPS game you wish to load

4. Insert the CD into the CD drive.

5. The installation program may begin automatically. If it doesn't you can run it manually by double-clicking on the icon for "my computer" on the desktop, followed by the CD drive icon. A menu will appear Select "RUN INSTALL.EXE" icon once the installation program appears follow the instructions on the screen. You may get a security warning, asking you if you want this program to make changes to your computer. Select "YES" to install the game. Then the installation wizard with appear. Select "NEXT"

6. The "choose destination location menu will appear, Select 'BROWSE'.

- Do not install to the default C:\program files\HPS simulations\campaign whatever.

-It will look like this in the menu box,C:\..\HPS\campaign whatever

-Instead, as stated above, Select Browse. A box will appear titled "Select Folder." Use the Up and Down Arrows to find your C: Drive folder, Open that Folder (By Left-Clicking) to reveal the HPS Folder you created, then open that up to reveal the HPS Atlanta (Or Whatever) Folder you created to receive your game files.

-Select the Game Folder you wish to extract the files to, then Select "OK."

-Your Destination Folder is now C:/HPS/HPS Atlanta

-Select 'Next.'

7. Select the Type of Setup you prefer (In most cases it will be 'TYPICAL' and Select "NEXT."

8. The Program will remind you which Directory you are loading the files into. Select "NEXT."

9. The game files will begin to download into your folder.

Note: Just before your files finish downloading into your games folder, you may see two error messages:

String ISDX_ERR_internal was not found in string table

And

ISDX_ERR_Internal

I have ignored both messages and doing so does not seem to affect the performance of the program. Select “OK” in both cases.

10. You will see your final box telling you that the files have finished downloading. Select “FINISH.”

STEP TWO
Download the HPS Patch into Your Game Folder

1. Go to the HPS Website: http://www.hpssims.com/

2. Scroll down until you see a section entitled "UPDATES/PATCHES" in the gray bar on the left side of the screen.

3. Left Click on the game you want to update.

4. Left Click on "UPDATED GAME ENGINE AND GAME FILES."

5. Select "SAVE."

6. Use "BROWSE" or Open up the Folder you created in the C: Drive (e.g. C:/HPS/HPS Atlanta)

7. Select "SAVE

8. Left Click on "UPDATE TO DOCUMENTATION" (OPTIONAL)

9. Repeat steps 5, 6, and 7 Immediately above.

10. Once your downloads are complete, Open your game file in . C:/HPS.

11. You will find zip folder(s) with the same name as the file(s) you've downloaded.

12. Left Click to select each zip file in turn.

13. A new box will open up, Select "RUN."

14. Another new box will open up with "UNZIP" as an option. Before you Unzip the file!! Check to see what folder is highlighted in the Blue Box on the left side. It is probably C:/HPS Simulations/Campaign Atlanta. YOU DON'T WANT THAT!!!!! Instead Use the "BROWSE" button to highlight your C:/HPS/HPS Atlanta (or Whatever) Game folder.

15. Once you have the proper folder in the Blue Box, Select "UNZIP."

16. Do steps 14 and 15 for each zip file you downloaded.

17. You should be good to go. You can check your work by Sending yourself a PBEM file from the game, loading it into the game folder and trying it to see if it works.

18. Remember: When sending file, insure that the turns have been completed and the game file saved before sending. It is also recommended that the file be zipped as well.
Dan Peterjohn
General, United States Volunteers
4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, XVI Corps
Commanding