Name Your Favorite ACWGC Sanctioned Game

ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE'S OPEN FORUM. Primary, open source facility for all AotT news, Award Parades, announcements, chatter and good cheer.
Joe Meyer

Name Your Favorite ACWGC Sanctioned Game

Post by Joe Meyer »

I'd like to find out which game packages sanctioned by the ACWGC most of the AoT officers like the best so far. It doesn't matter if you don't own all of the games. Just tell me which one or ones you really like and why. If you have a favorite scenario or campaign, that will work too!

One of my favorites is the HPSCN (Campaign Antietam) package because it actually covers three campaigns...First Bull Run, Second Bull Run and Antietam. One of the best "What If" scenarios in the package is March to Hagerstown. All of the battlemaps are rich in detail and huge! I like a lot of room and time to move around and shape up a good battle.

I like BGC, too! There's something about that BattleGround game that continually challenges me!
General Jos. C. Meyer, ACWGC UA
Commander, Union Army of the Tennessee

S_Trauth

Re: Name Your Favorite ACWGC Sanctioned Game

Post by S_Trauth »

I like Gettysburg, probably mostly because when I first "cut my teeth" in grand tactical gaming, it was with the old SPI game- Terrible Swift Sword ( AH's Gettysburg -77 or 78 -whatever one it was - wasn't enough for me); however at the moment I am involved in the linked campaign in Vicksburg and have to say it really seems like a well designed game also. Leastwise- there is really a lot of tension in playing it, the unit numbers are relatively small... and well .. Grant... you have to like Grant :)
S Trauth
Webmaster: http://Hist-sdc.com
D.S. Walter

Post by D.S. Walter »

I am still surprised to hear that Antietam should be good, though I have heard it being said elsewhere. After Franklin, which was poor, and Shiloh, which was worse (the non-sensical campaign "decisions"), I steered clear of Rich Walker's stuff. Should I give it a try? I own all other HPS campaign games, i.e. those designed by Drew and Doug, and they're all excellent, though Peninsula can get tiresome with all those low quality troops and the horrible terrain. I haven't really tried Vicksburg so far, with my only campaign opponent disappearing in the third battle (and a victory at Chickasaw Bayou my only standlone game); I want to give it a second try when I find the time (being G-in-C is not a great time for that!).

Gettysburg is of course awesome, and I have had a lot of fun there especially with some great MP games, though I dislike the overpriced artillery and cavalry. Makes them hard to really use, especially the latter (and I do love cavalry!). I suppose the original titles in the series, Corinth and Ozark, are still those I like best in a way. Not too huge, plenty of good maps, Corinth has wonderful long campaigns, enormous replayability. Ozark is simply nice because it's so different.

Of course I have fond memories of the BG days of old and have a mind that I would want to play "Full Deck" or Stones River or South Mountain once again. Maybe that's just my "oh the good old days when I was a young eager 1st Lt." romanticism running wild. ;)

And lately I have found fighting the full war on Ageod's ACW game quite immersive. Actually built armies, appoint those promising young generals, nurture them into army commanders to hammer your way into Richmond ... yes, that's some experience!
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
"... and keep moving on."
http://www.acwgc-usa.org/
cruces

Post by cruces »

I guess I like Campaign Chicakamauga and Campaign Gettysburg the most. I have the AGEOD game, but have never played it. I guess I will have to give that a try sometime.

Major Elkin
Asst COS (acting) AoT
J. Sheffield

Post by J. Sheffield »

My favourite still has to be Gettysburg but I also like Antietam for it has, as mentioned previously, not only Antietam but the two Bull Runs too. Another plus is that it also has OPTIONAL MELEE RESOLUTION. I'm also considering buying Chickamauga as I loved the BG one.
Major Gen. John Sheffield
2nd Division (The Lost Tribe)
XVI Corps / Army of the Tennessee
S_Trauth

Post by S_Trauth »

Mr Sheffield, Sir:
All of the HPS Civil War titles should have Optional Melee Resolution now (it'd be in the latest patch for each individual game title on the HPS site). However the one thing to be aware of is that in the last round of patches, not all of the game titles got the 'no cd' feature added (I think that was because the decision was made to drop the CD check about midway through the patch sequence for the CWB titles -after the next patch cycle then none of the titles will require the CD in drive (or if you created one of those "magic CDs" that will sit in the drive and cover multiple games :) I know no one asked that - but that has come up before on other boards when talking about the latest round of HPS patches.

Steve
S Trauth
Webmaster: http://Hist-sdc.com
J. Sheffield

Post by J. Sheffield »

S_Trauth wrote:Mr Sheffield, Sir:
All of the HPS Civil War titles should have Optional Melee Resolution now (it'd be in the latest patch for each individual game title on the HPS site). However the one thing to be aware of is that in the last round of patches, not all of the game titles got the 'no cd' feature added (I think that was because the decision was made to drop the CD check about midway through the patch sequence for the CWB titles -after the next patch cycle then none of the titles will require the CD in drive (or if you created one of those "magic CDs" that will sit in the drive and cover multiple games :) I know no one asked that - but that has come up before on other boards when talking about the latest round of HPS patches.

Steve
Thanks Steve, that's noted. It was one of the reasons that I purchased it but would have bought it anyway. Good to hear that they will all eventually have the 'NO CD' feature, thank goodness I never got round to making my own 'one game' disc. :D

John.
jlytwak

Post by jlytwak »

I'm going to answer the inverse question...my least favorite..maybe it's just me but I saw the earlier post about Anteitam....who designed it??....I'm guessing Stonewall Jackson's great,great grandson!!!...I'm playing 2nd Bull Run & have never had a worse preformance of the boys in Blue...constant routing of units under C & C...while Stonewall's superhumans withstand repeated assualts (with reasonable melee odds on the attack) againest superior numbers & inflict high causalties despite the incredibly high fatigue they must have...as far as VP...it seems like a tall order for Blue...involing almost a complete whipping & destruction of the rebs just to get a draw or better...I'm curious what my fellow yanks thoughts/experiences are...I alaways enjoyed the Talonsoft BGBR
and had some great clashes...we'll see what happens on day 2 when I throw eveything including the kitchen sink at rebs...as I told my opponent it will be
"DEATH or GLORY" for the Bluebellies

BG J.Lytwak
cmd.3rd Div(2nd Calv) XVI AoT
J. Sheffield

Post by J. Sheffield »

BG Lytwak Sir,

I have recently started a game of 2nd Bull Run, it is around early afternoon of day one and so far the Rebs have mainly kept quiet allowing me to get my reinforcements into position. I don't wish too much action until the 2nd day when I can throw everything at him.

I suspect the problem may be in the variance of troop quality between North and South. A quick inspection of the Rebel forces with all their 'B' rated units supported by several 'A' & 'C' units would make you wish for some of the same on the Union side which for the most part is full of 'C' rated troops with a liberal sprinkling of 'D' units. I assume that Longstreet's right wing reinforcements will be of a similar quality to Jacksons when they arrive. I'm aware that some Rebel units begin at less than full strength but that doesn't help the Union player with regards to the difference in the troop ratings.