Promotion of A. Trommel of 1st Div./XVI Corps

ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE'S OPEN FORUM. Primary, open source facility for all AotT news, Award Parades, announcements, chatter and good cheer.
Gen. Jensen

Promotion of A. Trommel of 1st Div./XVI Corps

Post by Gen. Jensen »

Parade Attention!

To all who shall see these presents, Greetings.

Know ye that reposing special trust and confidence in the abilities of Andreas Trommel we hereby appoint him to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel to fulfill the duties of that rank to the best of his abilities from this day forward subject and under the orders of the President of the United States.

Congratulations to Lieutenant Colonel Andreas Trommel on his well earned promotion.

Division: Hand Salute!

Parade Dismissed!

General Chuck Jensen
1st Division
XVI Corps
Joe Meyer

Re: Promotion of A. Trommel of 1st Div./XVI Corps

Post by Joe Meyer »

It has come to my attention that this fine officer named Trommel has been so busy out upon the fields of battle that his advancement from captain to major was completely overlooked. But we were fortunate to have stumbled upon an abandoned mail pouch from Washington containing his commission to that of Lieutenant Colonel! Never let it be said that we of the Army of the Tennessee do not correct the record when it needs correction, and in Colonel Trommel's case that is a pleasure!

Where is the busy officer...Oh, yes! There he is over by the corner table! I think I'll go on over, claim my traditional drink from him, and tell him about the Creed-Parrot Affair of a few years back.

Captain Creed, you know, was the commander of a battery of new Parrot Rifles who knew so little about his guns that I actually had to doff my coat on the eve of battle and instruct him about their use and care. And what a providential undertaking that proved to be the next day, when he and his battery found themselves on an open hill the far right of our line! I vividly recall the look of horrified concern on my adjutant's face as he came riding hard from the right, claiming that two mean-looking Reb brigades had emerged from the woods, turned our flank and were preparing to roll up the line! The words were hardly out of his mouth when I heard Creed's rifles open up with a crashing salvo! Riding with my adjutant towards the right, we drew up on the edge of a wheatfield and beheld a most amazing sight! Incredibly enough, Creed was actually...!
General Jos. C. Meyer, ACWGC UA
Commander, Union Army of the Tennessee

A.Trommel

Re: Promotion of A. Trommel of 1st Div./XVI Corps

Post by A.Trommel »

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the promotion, it is an honor and a privilege to serve with you in the Union cause.

I cannot help but feel a bit saddened as it seems that my rather carefree days in lower ranks are growing shorter. Of course I will continue to do utmost in the course of duty and if providence is willing we will all dine in Richmond soon enough.

Now I will happily take the offered drink. Cheers!

Also I am curious to hear what actually happened to Captain Creed and his Parrot battery. I will admit I prefer 3" Rifles for long range fire over Parrots.