Summer coming to an end-gaming topics

ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE'S OPEN FORUM. Primary, open source facility for all AotT news, Award Parades, announcements, chatter and good cheer.
cruces

Summer coming to an end-gaming topics

Post by cruces »

Perhaps we can get some good gaming topics going in the forum.

(As the Colonel approached the barkeep, he heard him mutter "It is too damn quiet in here")

I suggested before that different commands should fight in multi-player format. (say like XVI Corps of the AotT)?

Not much came of that. Perhaps with the Fall and Winter approaching, we can try this idea out?

Who has done that? What were your experiences? Was it worthwhile or two cumbersome? :?:

Col. Elkin
Ephraim Burton

Re: Summer coming to an end-gaming topics

Post by Ephraim Burton »

Months ago some French PzC players made a big game with corps commanders and one blind general-in-chief for each side. Referees dispatch commanders' reports and generals' orders. The general-in-chief has to rely on his subordinates's reports before giving orders. According to the players, it is an experience both worthwhile and cumbersome. The machine is heavy but fog of war made it a true enjoyable game. I think it's a very good idea for ACW games because it is a mean to met command challenge.

I hope I understand your idea. Forgive my little-fluent English.
Pony Soldier

Post by Pony Soldier »

Gentlemen,

I have participated in at least three multi-player games. Unfortunately, only one of them resulted in completion. In one case, I quit the field because one player refused to follow the orders of the General in Chief. In the next case, many of the players seemed to drop out for no particular reason.

Now, having said this, I have to say that I think multi-player games are far superior to single-player games. In the first place, you introduce the egos and agendas of the various commanders thus inducing friction into the battle. Next, there are numerous opportunities for misunderstanding or mischance, just as one would find on a real battlefield. I wrote an essay on the conduct for multi-player games for the Union Army War College. I do not know if it has been carried over into the Union Army Library.

Finally, I think Lieutenant Burton's concept of the "Blind General" is absolutely BRILLIANT!" If anything would replicate the conditions on a 19th Century battlefield, it is this!

If we were to consider starting a multi-player battle, I would advocate we impose the following conditions:

1) All players should commit, up front, to complete the battle. (This is obviously not enforceable, but it might screen out those who are not committed)

2) Every participant should have a significant role to play in the battle. This would induce them to remain active.

3) We should keep the numbers of participants at a minimum. Perhaps no more that four commanders per side apart from the 'Blind Commander.'

I know a workable sequence of steps to ensure all participants can enter their moves into the fight.

The final word-I would gladly sign up for a multi-player fight as described by Lieutenant Burton.

Dan Peterjohn
Major General, USV
Army of the Tennessee
Chief of Staff

P.S. I wish that my French was 10% as fluent as the English used by Lieutenant Burton!
Dan Peterjohn
General, United States Volunteers
4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, XVI Corps
Commanding
Einar Jon Masson

Post by Einar Jon Masson »

Gentlemen fellow Officers ,General Sirs

I for one love the MP games of our belowed ACW games.
I cant really remember how many I have been taking part in in the old TS BG ,but usualy they where not finished.
There is always somthing who happens ,and as you know the TS BG have more phases per turn than the new HPS ones.
I indeed agree that there should be no more than 3-4 per side as playing x1 Corps at BG Gettysburg or BG Antietham
makes the game file have to go through way to many players of one side before turned over to the other side.
When 8-13 pepole have to make move ,def fire ,off fire and melee before one turn is finished ,and pepole already
engaged in few other games ,god help if person moves accidently troops from the next Corps (it may be in the same
stack) ,or takes defensive or offensive position critical to the next one (thats why I favor a overall commander).
Help my with the NWC ones as they have cavalry charge and so on.
But the thing is that those things who are burden and a trouble to the MP games are also the joy and the ones who
bring the most exitment to the MP games as one is facing some of the actual troubles the Corps commander of
the ACW did indeed face at the time.
Like at Antietham when Jackson did arrest AP Hill even though all the shortage of Generals at his Corps, and Lee
had to get him out just before the fight and if I remember correctly similar thing happened at the time to Hood.
And even more so all the friction at the union army of Potomac and even our belowed AotT.

I for one would recomend taking a game who has jucy troops, players need to have Corps or even two Corps (the
Union side) and the game should not be over 100 turn and there should be a overall commander to who the other
field commanders report to (he could even lead the Cavalry Corps) ,I personaly like reporting in with a snapshot
picture of the map with written in placement of eace divison of my Corps and given situation report and condition
of troops and getting back a set of objectives ,offensive or defensive depending on the army commanders thoughts.
I think the HPS ones are well suited for a MP game ,and the MP experience is a great thing as you also get in good
contact with pepole from your own side ,not only the CSA as most oftern.
This game is about the historic feel, tactics ,friendship and last but not lest the chance to take another human on
in a game and ether have the better of him or take the loss.
I usualy loose ,but I enjoy every game all the same.
For me it is the thrill of taking a part in a historic battle and thinking of myself as a actual commander of the time
and the troops as a real soldiers in the field (good help them if they would have had me at the helm ;o)) ,but also the
best thing I have had from the club is the friends ,not like I dont have some here in little Iceland ,but to play with
someone for months or years is somthing special ,to get news of doughters ,girfriends ,troubles and all things outside
the games themselfs.
For sure real life at home ,wifs ,kids ,work and all kinds of trouble may affect the games but one always gets in his
special world of guns ,swords and charges when turning on the computer and looking for a mail from the other side ;o).

I apologise for to many words ,but im all for the MP games really.

Take care
Lt. Einar Jon Masson
Artillery Brigade
Second Infantry Division
XVI Corps
Army of the Tennessee
Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

Lt. Masson,

I believe that you will become a very respected asset as an officer of this army! My compliments, Sir, on very ably and simply stating your personal values and thoughts about why you are here. We are very gald to have you with us!
General Jos. C. Meyer, ACWGC UA
Commander, Union Army of the Tennessee

Einar Jon Masson

Post by Einar Jon Masson »

Thank you general Sir
Take care
Lt. Einar Jon Masson
Artillery Brigade
Second Infantry Division
XVI Corps
Army of the Tennessee