New Cadet - Michael St.Julien

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

nelmsm
AotC

Re: New Cadet - Michael St.Julien

Post by nelmsm »

Barkeep, as Cadet St.Julien's trainer his first lesson will be one of how to handle himself by in the various Union taverns by putting all my drinks on his tab so he can learn how to avoid that in the future! ;)
General Mark Nelms
6/2/XIV/AoC "Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
mstjulien19
AotS

Post by mstjulien19 »

I did go ahead and purchase JTS Campaign Gettysburg. But I have a problem. I don't like the 3d maps. But the 2d normal map only takes up a small corner not even 1/4th size of the map display area. It sits in the upper left corner of the display. I see no way to make IT larger as the zoom in/out just switches to the 3d screen.

Being legally blind I prefer the "less busy" 2d map. The screenshots on JTS web page indicate the 2d map filling the map display area. But not on my laptop. I am running at 1366x 900 resolution. Toshiba with internal Intel 4000 video card, Windows 8.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Lt. Colonel Michael St.Julien
5th Brigade
Second Division/VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah
mstjulien19
AotS

Post by mstjulien19 »

Ok. I now see that the maps displayed in the display area are proportional to the size of the battle. Up to that point I'd only tried the "Opening Fight" battle. Just as I started to figure that out Rich from JTS confirmed it for me via e-mail.

Cadet Michael St.Julien
5th Brigade
Army of the Shenandoah
David Danner
AotC

New Cadet - Michael St.Julien

Post by David Danner »

Cadet St. Julien:

Michael:

You are about to make some great friends. These ACW games have collected some great guys and boy the fun you'll have. Welcome to the Union and my tent flap is always open. Well, I did close it in February when it was 7 degrees.
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e
mstjulien19
AotS

Post by mstjulien19 »

Thank you for the warm regards. Just so you know I grew up in Lafayette, LA. So every time I see "Lafayette" it strikes a chord . I spent most of my life down in what we call the Hub City as Lafayette was the center of Cajun Country. Unlike most of my family though, I didn't grow up with a strong South Louisiana accent.
5th Brigade
Army of the Shenandoah
David Danner
AotC

Post by David Danner »

Michael:

Mark Nelms was my Military Trainer too. What a great start he gave me and I'm sure yours is too. I'm a Maryland boy but spent the last 15 years in McComb, MS. I have been to Lafayette, LA with a friend checking out the college there--fantastic. I now live in Delaware, about 15 minutes from my old Maryland residence. It's so good to be home. Dave
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e
nsimms
AotC

Post by nsimms »

Neal Hebert on the CSA side of the club grew up around Lafayette, Louisiana. You should contact him for a game after you graduate.
Gen Ned Simms
1/1/XIV Corps/AotC
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.