New Cadet reporting

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

M. Clausen
AotP

New Cadet reporting

Post by M. Clausen »

Greetings Gentlemen,

My name is Matt Clausen. I've been a long time gamer who has finally reached the conclusion that the 'old gang' from growing up just can't keep up with my appetite for gaming. While they are good men, patriots every one, who I would gladly share a whiskey with; they just can't be counted on, when the minie balls are flying, to get a turn out in anything less than a week (at best). I've decided that our long term friendships will not be well served by my offering advice on how they can either manage their time or their In-boxes better. Thus, I set out to find new comrades-in-gaming, and gladly stumbled upon this sharp looking outfit.

I grew up playing Avalon Hill games throughout the 80s. In the late 90s I was immediately taken with the Talonsoft games since they were essentially board games with great graphics and a computer to do all the book keeping. I have all the original Talsonsoft games (somewhere) and enjoyed pbem games of the full battles of Antietam, Shiloh and Gettysburg. Since discovering the HPS games 5 or 6 years ago I've purchased Gettysburg, Peninsula, Antietam and Chancellorsville. Since I really didn't have any opponents I haven't played the HPS titles much, so I'm learning my way around the changes in the system from the TS titles.

In addition to pbem computer games I also try to play quite a few VASSAL games (I think I had 7 different games going this summer, and I was still waiting on my opponents). If any of the members also do any VASSAL gaming I wouldn't mind getting a game of Victory Game's The Civil War going. Though I haven't played it much in the 30 years I've had it, other than a few attempts in high school and perusing it since. If I ever get some free time I might build a VASSAL module for Avalon Hill's Chancellorsville, since that game is strangely absent from all the other modules available.

Finally, I've been a bit of a student of the Civil War for quite some time. I've always been a military history buff, so it is a natural fit. I took a Civil War class in college and still break out the main book, McPherson's Ordeal by Fire whenever I want to learn a bit more background on any of these battles. I owe my most recent round of interest in the ACW to having read The Killer Angels on a deployment, which prompted me to immediately play the full three days of TS Gettysburg. Since then I've been steadily working my way through the various Shaara series. In this group I'm doubtful that anyone hasn't read these books (at least the ACW series), but if they haven't, I highly recommend them.

Looking forward to some serious gaming in your company.

Cadet Matt Clausen
Union Military Academy
A. Baker
AotP

Re: New Cadet reporting

Post by A. Baker »

Matt,

Welcome. I think you will enjoy the friendship and competition the club has to offer.

Where do you call home? I'm from Oklahoma.
Major Gen. Alvin Baker
II Division / I Corps
Army of the Potomac
M. Clausen
AotP

Post by M. Clausen »

I'm from Wisconsin. I'd like to think there was a command position open for the Iron Brigade, but I'm sure that spot has already been snapped up.

I've got some relatives in Tulsa we have visited a few times.

Matt
Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

Glad to have you with us, Matt! Major General Kolcun is a class-act Instructor and I'm sure he'll take you well in hand.

Our club is geared to permit the personal playing schedules of everyone, from the most active and frequent turn exchanges to the most relaxed. I'm sure that you'll find opponents who will meet your own preferences. All you need do in that regard is to make certain that you state it up front in the Opponent Finders portion of the ACWGC Forum when the time comes. We've enough members on each side of the Mason Dixon Line to accommodate most every taste and the frequency of game turn exchanges is entirely up to the opponents and not mandated by any club rule. Tournaments and Multiple Player games, however, most generally have such a requirement to help move things along.

You mention having read The Killer Angels on a deployment. Are or were you in the military?
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

ernie sands
USA Command Staff

Post by ernie sands »

Glad to see that you have found your way to the ACWGC and the Union Army.

You will like it here.

Have fun with your games.
General Ernie Sands, ACWGC
UMG Western Theater, Commander
(Former ACWGC President, 2015-2020)

ACWGC Records Site Administrator
Antony Barlow
AotC

Post by Antony Barlow »

A warm welcome to you, Matt! 8-)
David Danner
AotC

Post by David Danner »

Welcome Matt and as always, drinks are on the instructor's tab.
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e
nelmsm
AotC

Post by nelmsm »

Welcome Matt, and despite General Danner's statement us old timers always find it refreshing for a cadet to buy a round. ;)
General Mark Nelms
6/2/XIV/AoC "Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Dan Peterjohn

Post by Dan Peterjohn »

Matt,

Welcome to the ACWGC. I think you will find that this club should satisfy your gaming requirements. I don't know anything about the VASSAL games, however, one of my Corps Commanders, Lt. Gen. David Elkin seems to know about them. I will send him your email address and ask him to contact you. It may be a while until you hear from him-he's a bit busy at the moment.

Again, welcome to the club!

Dan
Dan Peterjohn
General, United States Volunteers
Army of the Tennessee
Commanding

cruces
AotT

Post by cruces »

Welcome Matt <salute>

You will be a great addition. I too play a lot of Vassal games, For the People, Glory III to name a couple plus Ancients to WW2 as well.

Always up for a good tussle in a Vassal game.

Gen Dave Elkin
XVIth Corp Commander
AotT