Greetings fellow Cadets!

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

nelmsm
AotC

Re: Greetings fellow Cadets!

Post by nelmsm »

Welcome to Union Army Cadet Taylor! I see you mentioned "wading" into the Rebels but in my experience I've found that method leads to excessive ankle bites and I prefer to stomp my way through them. Now the first advice I'd give would be to use your mere cadet pittance to buy drinks for the senior officers...well like myself for example, and see how much advice you can pry from them from their hard won experiences! :D
General Mark Nelms
6/2/XIV/AoC "Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Douglas E Shaw
AotC

Post by Douglas E Shaw »

Welcome aboard Milt! My grandfather was named Milton. You don't see many with that name any more. I definitely agree that Milt is much better.

HPS Gettysburg is the most common of the titles that players own. I like Chancellorsville a lot and also have found many good scenarios in Antietam and Chickamauga. JTS Overland is very popular since it is the most recent addition and has some unique rules on trench warfare. I have not tackled Overland yet.

Best of luck to you in all your games.
Gen Doug Shaw
4th Brig/1st Div/XIVth Corps
Dan Peterjohn

Post by Dan Peterjohn »

Cadet Taylor,

Milt,

Welcome to the ACWGC! I'm sure you will find it to be everything you're looking for in gaming. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

V/r

Dan Peterjohn
Gen., USV
Army of the Tennessee
Commanding
Dan Peterjohn
General, United States Volunteers
Army of the Tennessee
Commanding

C. Hecht
AotP

Post by C. Hecht »

@Milt Taylor
Currently I have not many of them but I guess even when I have all I wouldn't favor any of them, all try to depict certain times and areas of the Civil War and as a wargamer and a historical interested person I want to know about all of it and play them all.
So my recommendation would be, go for the one that sticks out of the pool for whatever reason, you mentioned already Gettysburg and that seems a good point to start for you.
Lieutenant General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
C. Hecht
AotP

Post by C. Hecht »

Oh and the "unique rules" that Overland has have just been added to Gettysburg too:
http://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19796
Lieutenant General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
Milt Taylor

Post by Milt Taylor »

nelmsm wrote:Welcome to Union Army Cadet Taylor! I see you mentioned "wading" into the Rebels but in my experience I've found that method leads to excessive ankle bites and I prefer to stomp my way through them. Now the first advice I'd give would be to use your mere cadet pittance to buy drinks for the senior officers...well like myself for example, and see how much advice you can pry from them from their hard won experiences! :D

Well then General Nelms, sir, please belly up to the bar and allow me the high honor of buying you your first round of your favorite rot gut. Thank you for the caution on wading with the enemy. I shall indeed wear my stomping boots when I come upon them.

Here's to you, General Nelms!

Cadet Taylor
Milt Taylor

Post by Milt Taylor »

Douglas E Shaw wrote:Welcome aboard Milt! My grandfather was named Milton. You don't see many with that name any more. I definitely agree that Milt is much better.

HPS Gettysburg is the most common of the titles that players own. I like Chancellorsville a lot and also have found many good scenarios in Antietam and Chickamauga. JTS Overland is very popular since it is the most recent addition and has some unique rules on trench warfare. I have not tackled Overland yet.

Best of luck to you in all your games.
Thanks for the welcome, Lt. General Shaw.

I agree with your observation on there being a general lack of Miltons to be found these days but it is quite common in my family. It goes way back to the Civil War ;)

Cadet Milt Taylor
Milt Taylor

Post by Milt Taylor »

Dan Peterjohn wrote:Cadet Taylor,

Milt,

Welcome to the ACWGC! I'm sure you will find it to be everything you're looking for in gaming. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

V/r

Dan Peterjohn
Gen., USV
Army of the Tennessee
Commanding
Thank you, General Peterjohn. So far the ACWGC has been much more (and better) than I had expected. My instructor, Gen. Meyer, is great. I'm really looking forward to doing the Union proud.

Cadet Milt Taylor
Milt Taylor

Post by Milt Taylor »

C. Hecht wrote:@Milt Taylor
Currently I have not many of them but I guess even when I have all I wouldn't favor any of them, all try to depict certain times and areas of the Civil War and as a wargamer and a historical interested person I want to know about all of it and play them all.
So my recommendation would be, go for the one that sticks out of the pool for whatever reason, you mentioned already Gettysburg and that seems a good point to start for you.
Thanks again, Major Hecht. I plan on picking up HPS Gettysburg this week.

Cadet Milt Taylor
F. DiNola
AotT

Post by F. DiNola »

Welcome and Good hunting!
General Frank DiNola
CO Army of the Potomac