New Cadet reporting in

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

W. Hart

New Cadet reporting in

Post by W. Hart »

*salutes all*
My name is William Hart but most people call me Billy. I live in Virginia. I attended Valley Forge Military College for 2 years and then transferred to Norwich University. Went through ROTC, graduated with a BA in History and took a commission in the US Army as an Infantry Lt. Spent a few years on active duty as a Rifle Platoon Leader after attending a few schools in Ft. Benning, GA. Got out of the Army and spent almost 30 years working for the Commonwealth of Virginia. I bought all the Talonsoft Battleground games when they came out. However, the computer I played them on died 5 years ago and the new computer I have now will NOT let me even load the games, much less play them. I get an error message about 64 bit or something and "contact the software company blah blah blah". Please note, I am only one step above computer illiterate. The Gateway computer I have now has an AMD quad core processor and Vista OS. If anyone knows how to get my miserable computer to load the old Talonsoft BG games, I 'll buy them drinks for the next year. My only other option will be to buy the Matrix games John Tiller bundle of all his Civil War BG games for $50.

Humbly,
Cadet Billy Hart *salutes all*
K. Koch
AotS

Re: New Cadet reporting in

Post by K. Koch »

Welcome aboard Cadet Hart!

I hope you get your computer situation resolved. Do you have any game titles at the moment? Knowing myself I would most likely buy the new Matrix versions, but that is just me, I spend money as fast as I earn it.

Have you tried any HPS games? I used to own the talonsoft games, but like what HPS has done with their format.

good luck cadet!

Sincerly,
Brigadier General Kevin Koch
4/1/VI
AotS
The Roosters
W. Hart

Post by W. Hart »

*Salutes*
Col. Koch,
The only HPS game I have atm is Shiloh Campaign but I intend to purchase some others as soon as my financial situation allows me (Campaign Peninsula intrigues me). Agreed, I'm going to buy the Matrix bundle so I have the Battleground games available to me again.

*salutes*
Cadet Hart
ernie sands
USA Command Staff

Post by ernie sands »

I tried a lot to get the BG games working on a WIN7 computer and gave up.

The MATRIX versions work GREAT with WIN7. Make sure you get the MATRIX upgrade after installing.

Once upgraded, you should have V2.01 for your games. (Within any game of the MATRIX series, HELP/ABOUT gives you the version.)
General Ernie Sands, ACWGC
UMG Western Theater, Commander
(Former ACWGC President, 2015-2020)

ACWGC Records Site Administrator
W. Hart

Post by W. Hart »

*salutes*
I bit the bullet and purchased the Matrix Games bundle of John Tillers BG games. It's great seeing those games working again :)

Lt. Billy Hart *salutes*
tommy.lynn

Post by tommy.lynn »

Hi Billy and welcome, yes John Tillers BG is pleasing to the eye, but by now you would of thought the graphics and terrible fire and melee results could have been improved.
Maj Gen Lynn T
CoS
UMA
USA
D. Hampel
AotT

Post by D. Hampel »

Hi Billy, glad to see another Cadet in the Canteen. In regards to the Matrix BG series...it's a Classic. One of the best. Regarding enhancements, the HPS series added an upgrade with the graphics and some editing but the game is locked down for OOB/MAP editing...major bummer. The latest release is the John Tiller Campaign Overland and that would be my recommendation for purchase. It is open for editing and should evolve with improvements as scenario and graphic designs did with the early HPS Corinth edition.

If you are interested in some of the other HPS ACW series, that you don't have yet, I might be able to help you. Send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you complete the series.

Cadet Hampel
Dirk Gross
AotT

Post by Dirk Gross »

I've kept a folder of all the installed Talonsoft games, patched to 32-bit and simply moved them from PC to PC without ever reinstalling them. I just checked and I can fire up the scenarios when using the game executable, NOT the BG Start file (the convenient start menu). The BG Start file will not operate. I've also used an XP Virtual Machine using Oracle Virtualbox Virtual Machine(free) and the games, including the BG Start file work normally. I was bound and determined not to rebuy them...

I'm using Windows 7 x64. Also have Win 8 on dual boot. If I try the games on Win 8 I'll let you know how it works.
Gen. Dirk Gross
2/XVII
Army of the Tennessee
Dirk Gross
AotT

Post by Dirk Gross »

Yes, it works the same in Windows 8 x64 as Windows 7 x64...
Gen. Dirk Gross
2/XVII
Army of the Tennessee