Most active army?

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

D.S. Walter
Site Admin

Most active army?

Post by D.S. Walter »

So far we had number of games played / victories won (traditionally the AotC and AotS are vying for that distinction) and muster turnout (seems no other army will ever rival the AotT's close to 100% there) as measures of army activity. A novel yardstick of activity just occurred to me - the number of officers from each army who have, so far, registered for the new UA forums. As of today (10/12/2010), this would (also) put the AotT on top with

AotT - 21
AotS - 20
AotC - 18
AotP - 11

this in spite of the fact that the AotT is the only army not to have its army tavern on this site!

Joe, how are you keeping these guys on their toes to such an extent? :o
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
3/2/VIII AotS
ImageImage
"... and keep moving on."
mperrenod

Re: Most active army?

Post by mperrenod »

I used to proudly say that my army the AotS, was the best in the club. Can't say that anymore. Hats off to the AotT!
Gen. Matt Perrenod
The Blue Ghost
1/2/VIII Army of the Shenandoah
Superintendent, Union Military Academy
Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

Gentlemen, you are much too kind; but I must attempt to set the record straight about the AotT's success in this whole regard (although I'm certain that you'd not have expected such a long-winded response from me).

There are a number of contributing factors to this field army's responsiveness, two of them having been brought about during the army's re-organization at the end of last year. You may recall at that time that the Union Army Standing Orders underwent a very careful revision occasioned by General Walter's assumption of the command. Both General Walter and General Laub had a hand in this undertaking and worked proficiently to bring those orders into a more effective state. Among the orders modified was General Order # 3, Assignment and Appointment. In particular was the paragraph entitled, Appointment to Command and Staff Positions.

Appointment to Command and Staff Positions - As per Club Rule 3.1.2.7.d, all appointments to command and staff positions in the Union Army are made by the General-in-Chief. The General-in-Chief shall duly consider the recommendation of the respective Army Commander or of the Commandant of the Union Military Academy or the War College, wherever the position shall be created or the vacancy to be filled shall occur. To solicit the General-in-Chief's approval, the respective commanders or commandants should discuss their candidates for command and staff positions with him informally prior to submitting a formal recommendation.

This order came into effect at about the same time that the re-organized AotT began searching for its Command Staff, the CC's and DC's who would implement the new directions I had set out. Each Command Staff officer had to be thoroughly interviewed and vetted for his eventual approval by the GinC, a process that forced an awareness of the commitments needed by each of them. The result was the generation of an excellent mixture of both experienced veteran and newer officers as Command Staffers who understood what was required of them and who forged ahead in their duties with promptitude and directness. They very quickly established a routine with their commands that has produced excellent results.

One other factor in the AotT's success is what I refer to as the "Jeff Laub Rule." His own, long experience in the club suggested that you could probably find one individual out of six or seven that would meet the qualifications for a command position. So when the time came to set the AotT's OOB alignment, we chose seven-man divisions; one division commander and six brigade commanders. It simultaneously made the command more compact and lowered our leadership needs.

The stage was thus set for a very responsive and tightly knit organization. Once the gates were opened, they came charging out like a bunch of thoroughbred race horses! And frequent, good communications have always been an operating, command philosophy. But it is the officers, themselves, who have provided the continuous spark in their activities.

There are a number of well known names from the old AotT and AotO that anchor the new AotT's roster: Randy Hartwig, Michael Dowling, Joe Bukal, the Lytwak brothers, Ed and John, Gary McClellan, Ian Miller, Chuck Berdanier, Chuck Jensen, Brent "Rock" Horrocks, Bob Hughes, John Marchese, Frank Mullins and Kelly Ross, all who have either served or are serving as Command Staff officers.

Then we have a very solid crop of brigadiers and colonels who have become stalwart club members: Jeffrey McDonald, Rick Trembley, Richard Orris, Stefan Reuter, Paul Brennan, Pete Russo, Dan Macnamara, Antonio Aitala, Charles Babb, Joe Alberti, Bob Hovey, John Sheffield, John Nash, David Swartz, Ken "Muddy" Jones, "Old Spec & Spurs" Dave Elkin and, more recently, Ray Matthews.

Of the remaining field and company grade officers, we've a good mix of older and newer: Dave Earls, Mike Macnamara, Jason Fitch, Gabriel Szala, Andreas Trommel, Roberto Sanchez, Neal Carney, Zafer Edjer, Einar Jon Masson, Ephraim Burton and, most recently, Allen Neil.

And did I mention Maj. Gen. Dan Peterjohn, the AotT's Chief of Staff, without whose dedicated assistance this army would not function half as well?

Additionally we've a number of excellent officers on Leave: Tom Callmeyer, Mike Alberts and Steve Trauth, the returns of whom are all anticipated.

Of course we've lost a few along the way, too, to the normal Real Life attritions every field army experiences: Bill Cassley, Wayne Lubbert, James Evans, Abe Apfel, Victor Balaguer, and Dan Klein. Regrettably they've simply gone "silent" and have slid or are sliding down that long, six-month journey to eventual discharge, while we attempt to do everything we can to contact them.

Nor did everyone in the old AotT and AotO who remained in the original rosters decide to carry on with us when the time came. They were all honorably retired and their names may be seen at http://www.unioneaglesonline.com/AotT-Retired.htm, as part of the AotT's website. Chris Trog retired in July.

But in the end, it is the continued enthusiasm and sense of cammaraderie of each of its active officers that keeps the Army of the Tennessee answering its Muster Calls and "Standing On The Line" together. Many of these names were strange to me when I first arrived in the re-organizing army's encampment. But I have come to know them now as a fine group of individuals who take great pride in their common interest and who each contribute, as they can, in their own way to what this army has become. They are not unlike a great many other Union Army officers out there who share an affinity for this club and the games that are played. They just answer up a little more loudly, strongly and consistently. They are proud of themselves, each other and the colors under which they serve, and I would not have it any other way!
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

D.S. Walter
Site Admin

Post by D.S. Walter »

Joe Meyer wrote:I'm certain that you'd not have expected such a long-winded response from me
Are you? ;)
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
3/2/VIII AotS
ImageImage
"... and keep moving on."