Hello, everyone. New Lieutenant from Spain

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

Carlos TM

Hello, everyone. New Lieutenant from Spain

Post by Carlos TM »

Just finished the training, I received, yesterday, my finally destination: Army of the Tennessee, XVI Corps, 3rd (2nd Cavalry) Division, 5th Brigade.

Dates: I'm 39 years old and I'm spanish. I live in Castellón, a little city in the mediterranean coast. Despite I have the HPS games for a two years, I'm very novice. I have some problems writing english but, usually, if you write formal english, I can understand almost everything (with a translator help :mrgreen: ).

I have a question for you (I too report this question to my General command):

I would like to play some games now (I'm waiting for a rival in the Lieutenant's Cup, but I need more :geek: ) but, as I said, my current level of play isn't too good. What may I do? I'm practicing with a friend (I'm trying to convince him to enlist to this club), but I think that the best for me is to play, to play and to play more much :mrgreen: .

Some tips well be appreciate. Thanks in advance.
O. Bianchi
AotC

Re: Hello, everyone. New Lieutenant from Spain

Post by O. Bianchi »

Welcome sir
Col Olivier Bianchi
French volunteers brigade.
4/2/XX.
AotC
elpaco

Post by elpaco »

Hello Lt Carlos and welcome 8-)

If I take my own history in the club, when I graduated, my divisional commander asked me for a game to help me practice a little more (and get to know each other). Maybe you can ask your own divisional commander if he has time for a short or medium game. no need for a monster to practice and improve...

About the Lieutenant's cup, I only waited a couple of days before I got a first and then a second opponent, so it shouldn't take too long, except of course if the Union Army is recruiting a lot more than the rebel army at the moment :mrgreen:

other possibility, you can maybe ask if you can have another game with an instructor from the UMA. don't know if it is possible, but it is worth asking.

last, go directly on the main website and ask for a reb opponent. describe the type of game you are looking for (I would suggest small or medium for a start), specify you would prefer to play against a player with a rank of Lieutenant, Captain or Major for example, start a game and enjoy kicking a rebel's butt :mrgreen:
Lt. Gen. Francois Chatain
CO XX corps and Adjutant, AotC
Red Badge of Courage Tournament Deputy Director
Carlos TM

Post by Carlos TM »

Thanks, Bianchi and Elpaco.

Nowadays, I hasn't yet a rival for Lieutenant's Cup, but in Mason-Dixon tavern, I found two rivals and I'm playing now with them.

A third game is in march: a "advanced training" with an instructor from the UMA.

And two "friendly" games against spanish friends. Possibly, the two will form part of the Rebel army in the near future... I'm teaching them how to lost :mrgreen: .

I have enough games for the moment. All of them are short games, but I prefer this. Until I have at least an average skill, I think is best for me to play as short games as I can.

PD.: Elpaco: Your name is a spanish one...
elpaco

Post by elpaco »

I got my nickname from my spanish teacher at school ;)

my first name is Francois, Francesco en español and in short 'Paco' 8-)
Lt. Gen. Francois Chatain
CO XX corps and Adjutant, AotC
Red Badge of Courage Tournament Deputy Director
Redlegger

Post by Redlegger »

Good day Sir! <salute>

And welcome aboard.
The best way to become proficient is to learn and practice via battles.
As Napoleon said; "[T]o have good soldiers, a nation must always be at war."

Note that these comments are from a relatively new officer like yourself, but I have been learning a lot along the way.

Know movement costs across the different terrain.

Know what is required for victory in each particular battle.
If the South gains points for exiting, block the exit points.

Know the adavantages and weaknesses of each side.
Generally the Union strengths are good quality artillery in abundance and lots of infantry.
Confederate strenghts: Leadership, high quality forces across the board.

Learn the game system, I am under the impression that the game favors the attacker, (though these forums ar good at self correcting erroneous statements).
One can not fear casualties.
As General "Buck" Turgidson would say about incurring losses in a battle; "I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed."

Protect your supply, leaders, and artillery.
Learn command radius and work on unit integrity from Corps on down as best as possible.

Do not panic if your units rout, (oh, and they will), or if you take a turn for the worse on one part of the field.
Once again turning to Napolean, "[V]ictory belongs to the most persevering.

Most importantly, have fun.
You will find this is a good club where sometimes even the enemy will help in your developement.

I wish you sucess in helping us put down this infernal rebellion and restoring order for our glorious Union.

<salute>
Brig. Gen. L.T. Korotko
I/I/VI
The Bucktails
Carlos TM

Post by Carlos TM »

To elpaco:

Francisco, not Francesco :mrgreen: (Francesco sounds as italian name). And yes, Paco is a short name. Others: Paquito, Paquillo :mrgreen: . There are some Franciscos in my family.

To Redlegger:

Thanks!!!

A very good collection of tips and motivational phrases.

The most important thing: to fun, is, by the way, guaranteed. I'm enjoying with the five games that I'm playing... too much but, as I said, I need to practice.