HPS Gettysburg Campaign Scenario 3 Version

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

nsimms
AotC

HPS Gettysburg Campaign Scenario 3 Version

Post by nsimms »

I was surprised that for the second match in the campaign after a draw at Brandy Station, we got a version of Scenario 3 (The Second Battle of Winchester) except that our version was Milroy at Martinsburg. There was a 1,000 point VP hex in the middle of town and nothing else other than a Union exit hex. I was surprised that giving up the VP hex but removing all of my units at the exit hex gave me a minor victory without a shot fired (except that I left a 50 man cavalry unit on the board so that he could get it back to a draw because I don't want a victory without firing a shot). By running instead of fighting, I not only got a minor victory (actual draw) instead of a major defeat but I also now control the next scenario that we'll play which just happens to mean that if I can achieve a draw or victory in the next one then the campaign ends.
Gen Ned Simms
1/1/XIV Corps/AotC
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
nelmsm
AotC

Re: HPS Gettysburg Campaign Scenario 3 Version

Post by nelmsm »

Sometimes in campaigns you just have to make the right decision to earn that victory....or defeat. How many players would have just looked at that 1000 point VP hex and figured they needed to defend it?
General Mark Nelms
6/2/XIV/AoC "Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
krmiller_usa
AotS

Post by krmiller_usa »

nelmsm wrote:Sometimes in campaigns you just have to make the right decision to earn that victory....or defeat. How many players would have just looked at that 1000 point VP hex and figured they needed to defend it?
One of the first things I do in a campaign scenario is look over the victory conditions and the objective points. This gives you an idea of whether you need to attack or defend to win and how much of the field you need to take or hold or if you even need to stay on the field.
Gen. Ken Miller

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/3/I
CoS
AotP
D.S. Walter
Site Admin

Post by D.S. Walter »

Iuka, the starting scenario of many Corinth campaigns, is the same way.

The problem is that in the ACW games you don't get an estimate of how many VP your army might be worth. So in fact before exiting it you don't know how much you can in exchange for giving up that on-map objective.

But then, it's good that there's chance in war, right?
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
3/2/VIII AotS
ImageImage
"... and keep moving on."