Drill No. 2, McPherson's Ridge

Herein the officers of the AotS may attend some specially designed courses of instruction as part of the AotS Advanced Training Program, testing and sharpening their game skills at their leisure as new courses become available, and joining the on-going discussions.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

Joe Meyer

Drill No. 2, McPherson's Ridge

Post by Joe Meyer »

Drill No. 2 is the scenario !HISTORICAL 1.1.1 Opening Fight - July 1st - Gettysburg from the Campaign Gettysburg package. It is a small 4-turn scenario, simulating the attack of Heth's Division against the First Division of Reynolds's I Corps along McPherson's Ridge. It is an unusually tough, little fight for the Union when pitted against the Confederate A/I. Don't get me wrong: it is easy enough to get a DRAW against the A/I. But it is quite something else to give the Rebels a minor loss of -100 points or greater! Here's how to do it.

Load the scenario as a Status "New" and Mode "Normal." Select the scenario ( !HISTORICAL 1.1.1 Opening Fight - July 1st - Gettysburg) from the Files menu. The touch off the "OK" button. On the A/I Selection Dialog window choose "Manual" for the Union and "Automatic with FOW." Then select "Rules." Check off every optional rule box with the exception of "Manual Defensive Fire." Then touch off the "OK" button, which will take you back to the A/I Selection Dialog window. Make certain that the slider balance is set to zero. Then touch off the "OK" button. This will set the game up for you with the Confederate first turn. (Lord help sections B and C of the 2nd U. S. Artillery!)

Play the scenario as many times as it takes before you get to the -100 point threshold (there's no time limit on this, so you can give yourself as much time as you want). When and if you do, then precisely follow these directions. At the end of Turn 4 the Victory Dialog box will appear on your screen with the score. As soon as it does press and hold your "Alt" key down and press the "PrtScn" key. Release both keys. This will create a picture of your game in your buffer at that exact moment. Let the program play out or close it down when you ready. After you've closed the game look for your MicroSoft Paint program, or whatever graphical picture program you have, and paste the buffered image of your game into it. This will create a bitmap file which you can label and save and then send to me as an attachment in an e-mail.

You're on your honor here, as I realize that its possible to dummy up the results. But the whole point of this little exercise is to provide you with a special, little challenge that might lead some of you to re-engage yourself in some sanctioned contests with our CSA brothers. So I'm going to challenge each of you to load that scenario up (I hope all of you have the JTS/HPS Campaign Gettysburg game package) and see if you, as the Union commander, can score a -100 point or greater loss for the CSA. If you do, you'll earn yourself this following, little ribbon, or an attachment for the one that you have!

AotS Advanced Training Ribbon

AotS Advanced Training Ribbon, Second Award
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)