Special Award Parade, General D. S. Walter

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

Joe Meyer

Special Award Parade, General D. S. Walter

Post by Joe Meyer »

OFFICERS OF THE ACWGC UNION ARMY,
ATTENTION TO PARADE!

It gives me great pleasure to award the following commendation to General D. S. Walter in recognition of his substantive and committed service as General-in-Chief of the Union Army for the period of January 1st to November 4th, 2010.

CITATION

As becomes the traditions of the ACWGC Union Army and in keeping with the values of recognition for services rendered in its behalf, the following ciatation is presented. During the period of his tenure as General-in-Chief of the ACWGC Union Army General Walter developed and implemented a more responsible and accountable direction within the leadership of the Union Army, laying the foundations for an increased sense of attention to duty at all levels of command. His insistence upon a stated acknowledgement of the understanding of command responsibilities by the officer recommended for the position has and will continue to provide the Union Army with more active and responsive leadership at all levels. General Walter also implemented an awareness of a need for a more fluid and dynamic process of cross-seeding of capable officers from one army to another where the leadership need was apparent. In terms of heightening the enjoyment of the Union Army's administration, General Walter went out of his way in providing a distinct and visual enhancement to the announcements of command appointments and General Rank promotions. With much forethought, circumspection and energy he brought the Union Army HQ Forum into existence as a decidedly reserved place for Union Army business and cammaraderie. In appreciation for his devotion, constancy, focus and attention to the duties of the Union Army Chief of the Armies (General-in-Chief), and for his personal commitment and sacrifice in the performance of those duties, General D. S. Walter is hereby awarded the Union Army's Outstanding Service Medal and Ribbon, the General's fourth such, career award.

General D. S. Walter is also authorized to display the Union Commander of the Armies 1-Year Service Ribbon in acknowledgement of his service.

OFFICERS OF THE ACWGC UNION ARMY,
Present, ARMS!...Order, ARMS!
Parade, DISMISSED!
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

Antony Barlow
AotC

Re: Special Award Parade, General D. S. Walter

Post by Antony Barlow »

Congratulations Dierk. Well deserved 8-)
ernie sands
USA Command Staff

Post by ernie sands »

<SALUTE>
General Ernie Sands, ACWGC
UMG Western Theater, Commander
(Former ACWGC President, 2015-2020)

ACWGC Records Site Administrator
D.S. Walter
Site Admin

Post by D.S. Walter »

Thank you for the kind words, Joe. They are much appreciated.

I do however feel unable to accept this award. In the recent crisis I have put my personal well-being, my peace of mind, over my duty to the Union army. I stand by that decision, which I have taken consciously. This is, after all, but a hobby and is not supposed to distract one from work, rob one of the little time one has with one's family when working full time, or pursue one into one's sleep; and it had started doing all that to me. This decision does mean, however, that I do not feel deserving of this medal. (Nor can I positively accept the service ribbon without having served a full year as G-in-C.)

You can't bail out and then accept a medal. It's as simple as that.
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
3/2/VIII AotS
ImageImage
"... and keep moving on."
Stefan Reuter

Post by Stefan Reuter »

Congratulation General Walter, very well earned! :D

Brig.Gen. Stefan Reuter
2nd "Old Reliable" Div.,XVth Corps, AotT
Gen.Maj. Stefan Reuter
2nd "Old Reliable" Div., XVth Corps, AotT
Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

General Walter,

You do yourself a great injustice. You overlook the very capable and excellent service you performed for all of us within the period you served. It was a voluntary and extremely complimentary contribution that you made, and one not soon forgotten. It is not I alone who gives this award, but all of the officers you so faithfully served during that time. I had stated my personal thoughts on this matter in the MDT on the occasion of my appointment as the interim CoA, but I believe that statement to be reflective of the feelings of a great number of Union officers.

"But serious compliments are in order for General Walter and the very focused, steady and remarkable job he has done for the Union Army. As his Chief of Staff this past year I can tell you that I know of few other such officers who brought so much of himself to the direction of that army. And while I have already made extended comment on his leadership and character within the Union Army HQ Forum, I will state for the readers of this forum that I have regarded my association with him as the UA GinC to have been an education in circumspection, expansiveness of thought, detailed planning, and depth of personal commitment that I had heretofore never thought possible from one who also so deeply enjoys these wonderful games we play.

"Although it may never happen as we occupy two, separate and very distant spots on this planet, I should personally feel most gratified to be able to shake his hand, complimenting and thanking him for the contribution he has made."

As we all are so intimately aware of the unpredictable influence of our personal, Real Life situations upon our club membership, especially in economic times such as these when the simple cost of internet connectivity for some of us may become a budgetary casualty, none may be so boldly crass as to cast aspersion upon the personal decision of another member to reduce or relieve his club burden in favor of his own family. It is not in spite of that necessity, but rather in understanding the personal pain that must have attended it, that we, with even more emphasis, acknowledge the very real and specific efforts of your personal contribution throughout that period of time in which you served as our General-in-Chief. Nothing may change that, General, not even your own personal reluctance. I might also state that virtually everyone who knows you was relieved to see that you were able to at least maintain the basic status of an active Brigade Commander.

The award is ours to give, General, and very rightly earned!
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

laubster22

Post by laubster22 »

DS,

Service for a year, counting the time we spent turning over, is nothing to sneeze at. You accomplished many things in that time, and the Union Army is definitely the better for it.

I'm very grateful that you stepped up to serve when you did.
General Jeff Laub
Iron Brigade
1/1/I
Army of the Potomac
R. Matthews
AotT

Post by R. Matthews »

Third (First) Cavalry Division, XV Corps, AotT ...... passing in review

Eyes Right!!!!

Colonel Ray Matthews
Third (First) Cavalry Division, XV Corps,
Army of the Tennessee
john sheffield

Post by john sheffield »

Please accept my apologies for my late arrival but it took an inordinate amount of time to get my boys from the battlefield and into their best parade uniforms.

General Walter this is for your service as Union Army G-I-C and all that you have done for the club...nobody can ever take that away. <SALUTE>
Major General John Sheffield
Second Infantry Division
"The Lost Tribe"
XVI Corps,
Army of the Tennessee,
USA.
tciampa
AotC

Post by tciampa »

Congratulations General Walter...you always go above and beyond. <SALUTE!>
Major General Tom Ciampa, AoC, XIV, 2nd Div, 4th Bgde "Deuce Fourteen"