A Personal Perspective

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

Joe Meyer

A Personal Perspective

Post by Joe Meyer »

I was not able to become a part of the ACWGC UA until September of 2007. There were many obstacles that prevented my active membership and which occupied the bulk of my personal time. So I do not have the experiences of those earlier, ten years of UA history. I view that as my personal loss. So much of what the UA is today was molded and forged well before my own time. But I am extremely thankful for the fact that it survived and was still an active entity by the time I could get involved! That's a tribute to all of the individuals who passed through its ranks, left their marks, contributed to its well-being and continuation and who may still be listed upon the active rolls, as many are. And from the accounts I have gleaned from their own memories and that which survives within the various forum archives, there were times of dischord and stress that were met head on with common sense and care, which forged an even stronger unity and sense of purpose among its members.

Much like the historical Civil War Union Army, the ACWGC Union Army survived tough times and early setbacks in its own formulative years to become a more stable and formidable organization. The ACWGC UA became a more adaptive and secure platform from which to pursue the goals reflective of the club: camaraderie, competition, challenge, honor, friendship and respect. Yet we are essentially nothing more than an internet gaming community, a passing flash of interest when compared against the broader scope of the world and our own, very personal lives. Nothing we do here affects the lives of millions or impacts upon the news of the day. But some of what we do here affects us, the members, in ways that the rest of the world can never know. We are victims of an attraction that we find timeless.

These games we play, or these simulations that we recreate, are based upon an event within the American consciousness that reached far beyond its own borders and gripped the attention of the world in a way that few other things in the 19th Century did. The American Civil War was an immense crucible in which the philosophies and ideals of the country were thrown back into contention to be re-forged, for good or bad, upon the ultimate field of battle. The men who met and fought each other in that crucible were much like ourselves, normally peace-loving and caring men who were willing to sacrifice a great deal for what they believed. We are drawn to examine and re-create those clashes in a much less destructive, yet impelling way. The game designers have provided us with the tools with which to make that exploration; and, in the process, provide us with oftimes hidden, historical perspectives relevant to the actual events. And in doing so with our game opponents, usually our "Rebel" brethren from the other side of the club, we become something slightly more than just game players: we become "keepers of history" in our own right.

It is a special benefit of belonging to the ACWGC Union Army that we may more closely understand the decisions and actions of the actual Union armies that existed from 1861 to 1865. After a time we also begin to appreciate the decisions and actions of the actual Confederate armies that existed, too. Oh, we can never totally recreate or experience what actually occured, but we can have a small part of it displayed directly in front of us on our computers. We do this, for the most part, physically separate, in our homes, on any given hour of the day or night, depending upon our own personal time. But we also know that there are others of us who also "wear the blue" of the ACWGC UA who have, are and will replicate these experiences in a thousand different ways. Sometimes we catch glimpses of these things in an E-mail, phone call or forum posting, and we marvel over the fact that we are part of a special group of individuals that seek out the same pasttime.

It has been my fortune to arrive at a point of involvement to be able to see how broad and diversified a group of people we actually are...and yet how common in our interests we remain! We quibble from time to time over how best a thing might be done to preserve the overall experience and environment that's been created. But we all share that basic desire to not only see it continued, but to have it survive even stronger. We recognize the value of what we have and want to be able to preserve it for our successors, even if its only to regularly answer up to our monthly Muster Call and nothing else! The inevitable entropy of time catches up with all of us sooner or later, and our lives take both expected and unexpected twists and turns, presenting us constantly with the question of maintaining our membership in this common enterprise. And for those of us who are forced to move on from the ACWGC there is the memory of having been, for a while at least, part of a special band of brothers. It is not so deep and abiding a band as that which the term so immediately conjures up; but it is a band nonetheless, one to which we may more often state, "I was proud to have been a part of it!"

I want to take this particular moment, now while I am still actively involved within this club and particularly within this "army" to salute each and every one of you who have ever been an officer, are an officer, or who will become an officer, for your own membership and commitment. While you remain remote and distant from me in the physical sense, you are very near and close to me in my thoughts. I wish that I could have been aboard for it all!

<SALUTE>
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

David Martin

Re: A Personal Perspective

Post by David Martin »

General Meyer sir: {salute}

Thank you for a moving and heartfelt statement of your feelings. In a small way, as I have only been here since August, I share your sentiments exactly. I can relate to the experience you express and feel the same bond.

I think you have very beautifully explained something that really is a feeling; a very difficult endeavior. But one you masterfully accomplished. Thank you.

Also, thank you for your leadership and dedication as CoA and Commanding General of the Army of the Potomac at the same time!

You and your efforts are most sincerely appreciated.

Warmest Personal Regards,

Col. Martin {salute}
Lieutenant General David Martin
First Brigade
First Division
First Corps
Army of the Potomac