Question about Tactics

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

David Martin

Re: Question about Tactics

Post by David Martin »

nelmsm wrote:It's good to keep some reserve on hand as with the Union's lower quality rating ( :evil: ) they tend to rout more and need someone to fill the gaps. One trick to use is to keep your reserve units stacked up with as many men as possible and this will keep routing units from passing through. They can't rout through if it will overstack them.
General Nelms sir: {salute}

I'm sorry I somehow missed this response and regret it therefore took me too long to respond back to you. Thank you so very much for your advice. I most sincerely appreciate it!

But, being the simple south Louisiana hick I am I don't understand the tactic you propose. If you don't mind could you please help me out a little more? ;)

I totally grasp the need for a reserve because of my troops regretable tendency to rout. :evil: But I'm not clear on why I want to stop them from passing through when they rout. It seems to me that that would leave the enemy battleline, an open space, my first wave attack units that routed, then my reserve. How can I move my second line troops up if they are blocked by my routed units? And if the enemy moves his battleline forward, he has an opportunity to rout one of my routed units which it seems to me might rout, or at least disrupt a portion of my reserve.

I'm sure I am missing a nuance somewhere, so your expertise is greatly appreciated. And thank you again sir for responding to my first post.

Warmest Regards,

Col. Martin {salute}
Lieutenant General David Martin
First Brigade
First Division
First Corps
Army of the Potomac
nelmsm
AotC

Post by nelmsm »

You don't want your routing units to pass through your reserve units as that will disrupt them. If your reserve is disrupted then they may not be able to move into the line or if they can then they will be that much more vulnerable. Routing units have a nasty tendency to trace their rout path through your reserve stack units.
General Mark Nelms
6/2/XIV/AoC "Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

General Nelms, {salute}

Ah. :idea:

Thank you. Your assistance is invaluable and greatly appreciated.

Col. Martin
Lieutenant General David Martin
First Brigade
First Division
First Corps
Army of the Potomac
nsimms
AotC

Post by nsimms »

I don't think that I use as many reserves as most Yanks do because I would rather spread out that Reb line making it too weak for offensive purposes and hopefully being able to flank it. It is very seldom that I have enough reserves to form a solid second line but if I did, then I would leave gaps in between my stacks of reserve units so that my routed units have some place to go (translation, if that many reserves then I would have a third spaced out line).

I'll open myself up for torture but in my experience, I don't have any more trouble with Yanks routing than I do with Rebs routing (I'm sure that I've just jinxed myself). The difference that I've noticed is that the Rebs often rally faster than the Yanks do. However, give me a battle using lots of E and F quality units and I'm ready to say "Aw shucks" to that battle and move on to the next one. You can't baby those E and F quality units when that's mostly what you've got.
Gen Ned Simms
1/1/XIV Corps/AotC
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.