Battle report of action vs. Col. Tommy Lynn. Beware

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

David Martin

Battle report of action vs. Col. Tommy Lynn. Beware

Post by David Martin »

Gentlemen of our beloved Union Army: {salute}

I have the honor to submit the following report regarding certain actions and engagement this officer was involved with utilizing borrowed Confederate troops and Col. Tommy Lynn, USA. The action began on the 14th instant at Cedar Mountain with a meeting engagement between the two forces occupying 21 turns.

Very sanguine over the potential of my position, I immediately moved all available forces forward. Even I could discern the value of holding the high ground and I moved boldly forward to both take and hold it. Regrettably, through some tactical slight of hand, Col. Lynn had occupied the northern side of the high ground and the noble troops under his command convinced quite a number of my brave southern troops to seek positions elsewhere.

After moving up additional troops and consolidating those still around, I moved forward with my entire force along the entire battle line to possess the high ground to our front. I felt quite comfortable and confident that my troops would easily displace Col. Lynn’s troops and the day would be mine.

Col. Lynn rather brusquely but gentlemanly disabused me of that notion.

At this point I realized I needed to review my entire situation and round up a division or so of my troops engaged in being “Rebels in the woods” as the song says. Away they were.

After taking several turns, and losing opportunity time very quickly as the turn count continued to increase, I advanced my troops along a broad front with depth in the center to deliver the Longstreetish hammer blow I knew I could successfully accomplish. As my troops quickly came into contact with the Federals, Nathan Bedford Lynn struck my rear with a brigade of dragoons. I recognized this could result in quite a problem, especially after he took a full wagon of supplies I had just moved forward. I really coveted those supplies.

However it is my pleasure to report that fortune smiled on southern arms that day, as there were numerous bands of brave Confederate troops all over my rear area; and I was able to limit the damage Col. Lynn’s cavalry was causing to mildly catastrophic by moving them toward him just as soon as the were able to be regrouped, which I must admit took the remainder of the contest.

In the meantime I applied all the pressure I could bring to bear on my front, and on turn 20, was finally able to break the Federal line. With cavalry still lurking in my rear I moved forward as the contest came to a close.

To my utter amazement, I mean, I was very agreeably surprised, to discover a minor Union defeat at the conclusion of the contest.

I am pleased to report the troops under my command behaved valiantly in every regard, the officer corps however were outfought, outfoxed and outwitted. Full disclosure requires me to state the engagement was not as close as it looks. Not at all.

Respectfully submitted,

Lt. David Martin {salute}
Lieutenant General David Martin
First Brigade
First Division
First Corps
Army of the Potomac
Joe Meyer

Re: Battle report of action vs. Col. Tommy Lynn. Beware

Post by Joe Meyer »

An excellent report, Lieutenant! It appears that you have found your calling as an officer of the ACWGC Union Army as you are not easily disuaded from either a challenge or adversity! Col. Lynn is an excellent instructor and takes great care to imbue his students with enthusiasm and endurance. You will need these traits as you enter combat more closely with those across the Mason Dixon Line. I expect to see you rise quickly through the Company Grade ranks and then into the Field Ranks as this year progresses. Good luck to you!
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

David Martin

Re: Battle report of action vs. Col. Tommy Lynn. Beware

Post by David Martin »

Thank you Gen. Meyer Sir! {salute}

I feel very fortunate to have had Col. Lynn as my mentor. He is teaching me *almost* everything he knows. ;)

I appreciate the opportunity the Army has given me and I will make every effort to take advantage of it for our mutual benefit.

The Union Forever!

Thank you again Gen. Meyer Sir! {salute}
Lieutenant General David Martin
First Brigade
First Division
First Corps
Army of the Potomac