General Matt Perrenod Honored

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

Joe Meyer

General Matt Perrenod Honored

Post by Joe Meyer »

(This posting has also been made within the Mason Dixon Tavern)

OFFICERS OF THE ACWGC UNION ARMY,
ATTENTION TO PARADE!

UMA CHANGE OF COMMAND ANNOUNCEMENT

Effective this date, General Matt Perrenod, Superintendent of the ACWGC Union Military Academy, is relieved of his duties at his own request, being replaced by General David Danner, AotC. Concurrently, Colonel Don Centers, AotS, has been appointed as the new Assistant Superintendent, and Brigadier General Mark van der Hagen, AotC, retains his position at the Academy as Commandant of Cadets.

General Perrenod has also indicated his desire to resign from all active duty within the ACWGC, citing personal and private business priorities. In accordance with Club Rule 2.6.3, his request has been officially granted, his name has been transferred to the rolls of the Honorably Retired.

GENERAL PERRENOD’S HISTORY

General Matt Perrenod, 159th member of the American Civil War Game Club, leaves the Club today with an active duty record that stretches back to June of 2001, fully ten and a quarter years! During that time he has accumulated what can only be described as one of the most successful game records ever posted by an ACWGC Union officer; 65 – 20 – 29 – 5 – 7. His OBD Point total stands at 2,636, making him the 10th ranking “Top Gun” within the Union Army officer corps.

General Perrenod was assigned to the Union Field Army of the Shenandoah. Within a very short time he had volunteered his time to become the Assistant Commandant of the Union War College (now Union Army Library), maintaining that post from April, 2002 through June, 2003. During that time he was, himself, a frequent contributor of articles to both the Schools of Tactical Doctrine and Operational Planning. His article on BGC, Scenario #10h, “Chickamauga,” in the later school, is a classical account of the Union defensive capabilities, expectations and personal stamina. That article led to his excellent Strategy Guide to BGC, Scenario # 10a, “Chickamauga,” which earned him the War College Prize III in 2003. So also of particular note is his general article in the former school, Battlefield Intelligence Methods for Battleground ACW Games.

The record shows that General Perrenod took effective and enduring command of the VIII Corps sometime between June of 2004 and July of 2005, a position he kept until March of 2007. That next month he became the Superintendent of the Union Military Academy, the position he has so expertly held up until this time.

As one would expect, General Perrenod is a very highly decorated officer, holding the Union Army’s Medal of Honor, the Outstanding Service Medal (twice awarded), the Distinguished Service Medal, and is a two-time winner of the Sheridan Combat Medal. He holds nine campaign ribbons, twenty-eight battlefield ribbons, five FMV’s, and six different tournament ribbons.

DUAL CITATION FOR UNION ARMY MEDAL OF HONOR
AND OUTSTANDING SERVICE MEDAL
GENERAL MATT PERRENOD

ImageImage

For his consistent, efficient and very committed leadership and superintendency of the Union Military Academy, General Matt Perrenod is presented with the ACWGC Union Army’s Medal of Honor, his second such award, and the Union Army’s Outstanding Service Medal, his third such award! General Perrenod has served as the Superintendent of the UMA for a period of nearly four and a half years, assuming the position in March of 2007, bringing a constancy and dependability of operation to that establishment which has very earnestly and directly supported the viability of the Union Army organization. When a commander handles his responsibilities so well over such a period of time as to create a complete confidence and an almost unthinking sense of security in those associated with the endeavor, he has reached a plateau of achievement that only the most competent are capable. Time after time General Perrenod artfully and effectively screened and shepherded the applicants to the ACWGC Union Army into their roles as UMA cadets, matching them with a staff of volunteer instructors with whom he maintained a sense of quality direction and expectation. Such dedication and performance resulted in the graduation of officers who were not only grounded within the basic elements of game play, but who were knowledgeable of the operating conventions of the ACWGC and Union Army. In the process of his direction of the UMA, General Perrenod developed a very comprehensive and concise bundle of e-mail instruments and training guides, which have fully and very completely documented the operation of that institution and which will serve for a long while to come. General Perrenod’s tenure as the Superintendent of the Union Military Academy must hereafter serve as a standard and model for all who may occupy that post after him. In most respects the ACWGC Union Army can never make full recognition of the services provided by this very intelligent and honorable officer on this, the occasion of his retirement from active service in the Club. But it is hoped that the uniqueness of this dual award ceremony will provide at least some poor measure of the special gratitude and thanks that is owed him.

On behalf of President Strickler and the ACWGC Cabinet it is also my distinct honor to present General Perrenod with the ACWGC Legion of Merit.

CITATION FOR ACWGC LEGION OF MERIT

General Matt Perrenod's experience, constancy and honorably prompt performance in his duties as the UMA Superintendent greatly benefited not only the ACWGC Union Army, but the club as a whole in that these same traits and expertise materially added to the overall roster and membership.

OFFICERS OF THE ACWGC UNION ARMY,
Present, ARMS!
Order, ARMS!
Parade, DISMISSED!

Please join me in saluting this fine officer for his service on our behalf and in wishing him the best in his future undertakings.
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

nelmsm
AotC

Re: General Matt Perrenod Honored

Post by nelmsm »

Definitely well deserved! General Perrenod, you are free to drink on my tab anytime you choose to stop by!!!
General Mark Nelms
6/2/XIV/AoC "Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
mperrenod

Post by mperrenod »

My thanks to Joe for his very kind words. There are two things I am proudest of during my time with the club: my service at the UMA, and my comradeship among the officers of the VIII Corps, and Corcoran's Legion in particular. Both, however, depended on the work of others.

The UMA depends upon a cadre of instructors both diligent and consistent in the efforts to introduce new members to the club and the Union Army. I had the benefit of a strong group of volunteers on whom I could depend.

Equally important is that in assuming command at the UMA, I was following Gen. Kelly Ross, whose work and consistency in that post exceeded mine. Much of the procedure we still use was worked out under his command. He passed it onto me in good order, as I hope I've passed it onto Gen. Danner.

I would also note the support and friendly competition of my counterparts at the VMI, especially Gens. Nick Kunz and Gen. John Newton. They made it fun.

I've spoken often here (usually while drunk) of my high regard for the leadership and comrades in the VIII. I was fortunate to enter the club at a time when several other new officers, and we were thrown together, and we stuck. Ken Miller and Niall Murphy showed me how important it is for new members to have the benefit of engaged leadership. Mike Dean and Dierk Walter helped prove that the power of the group is greater than that of the individual. And Rusty Hodgkiss and Drex Ringbloom prove that it you do it right, the club goes ahead as older leadership finds other direction.

I'm finding that direction now. My best wishes to everyone.
Gen. Matt Perrenod
The Blue Ghost
1/2/VIII Army of the Shenandoah
Superintendent, Union Military Academy
Antony Barlow
AotC

Post by Antony Barlow »

Congratulations Matt. These awards are richly deserved 8-)
Dan Peterjohn

Post by Dan Peterjohn »

It's been great working with you Matt. The only bright side I can see to your leaving is that now I have half a chance to send email to the Commandant without butchering the spelling of the name! I hope we see you back in the saddle some time.

Dan
Dan Peterjohn
General, United States Volunteers
Army of the Tennessee
Commanding

Drex

Post by Drex »

General Perrenod(Matt): With the Legion of Merit, that should give you all the awards worth winning in the Club. When you leave, you leave with style.:)
General Drexel Ringbloom, AotS,Commanding

tciampa
AotC

Post by tciampa »

Congratulations Matt. You have a great deal to be proud of, and we all have benefited from your hard work over the years. It has been a pleasure to serve with you in the club and best of luck in retirement and in pursuing your other interests and commitments. THANK YOU. SALUTE!
Major General Tom Ciampa, AoC, XIV, 2nd Div, 4th Bgde "Deuce Fourteen"
krmiller_usa
AotS

Post by krmiller_usa »

Gen. Perrenod,

Matt,

Once again I must bid farewell to a member of the best division ever to serve together on either side of this club. I had the pleasure of watching you rise in rank and take on responsibility first at the War College, then as a Division Commander and later the VIII Corps itself. I knew you would do a fine job at the Academy because of your excellent work commanding the Militia Division. The original members of the 2/VIII were a joy to have under my command, not only did you five provide consistent victories for the VIII Corps and the AotS all of you have provided outstanding service to the Union and the ACWGC itself. My fondest wishes that you enjoy your retirement as much as I enjoyed serving with you.

Gen. Ken Miller
CoS
AotP
Gen. Ken Miller

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/3/I
CoS
AotP
David Danner
AotC

Post by David Danner »

Congratulations Matt on your fine service to the ACWGC and your dedicated instructions and hand-off to me at the UMA. I thank you and salute you sir.
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e