Major Victory at Relief of Williamsport

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

Drex

Major Victory at Relief of Williamsport

Post by Drex »

I believe this is the first time Bill Peter's new scenario, Relief of Williamsport, has been played in the Club and I am happy to announce a glorious Major Victory over my opponent, Fld Lt. Dane Rosell, who accepted a termination bid. This is an exciting scenario that slightly favors the Union until the Rebs can figure out a winning strategy. I urge all Union officers to play it either solitary or as an MP like Gen. Danner & Co. are doing. Hopefully he will post an AAR on it.
My approach in this first game was to defend Williamsport from the existing defense positions of II Corps but this delayed the removal of the "Fixed" supply wagons as it held the enemy out too far and gave him time to bring up troops. As a result II Corps was basically destroyed but not without exacting a 2:1 in losses upon the enemy. Cannon ammo is at a premium in this game so watch it. My opponent didn't and used it up on me in Williamsport. He said it was the one thing beside supply that did him in. So if you can retreat back into the City hexes and force him to come to you, it will "release" the wagons so you can take them across the river early. In my second game that I started, I did just that and have taken all wagons and my arty across the Potomac and should be able to save most of II Corps.
10 am is an important time for the union as it releases XXII Corps who are camped south of Falling Waters ford which is the closes ford the South can use to get on the other side of the Potomac. Once the Rebs discover this, they will send cavalry round that way immediately before XXII comes on line and prevent you from moving the wagons to safety. There is no one over there before this time to stop them unless you move some II Corps over which you should do.
10 am also release VI Corps (Sedgwick) which helps I Corps who is not strong enough to defend against a determined Reb interdiction.
It takes some time for VIII and XII Corps to make their way south so the Rebs can consolidate their forces against Williamsport and I /VI corps. In my second game (against Don Vandergriff)I have held I Corps to a slow advance so Sedgewick can catch up with him. Two Corps are a formidible force. I would also keep VIIi and XII together, both have good cavalry and together you have a Cavalry Corps.
I hope this is a help. I'm sure others can come up with better strategies and they should share them.
General Drexel Ringbloom, AotS,Commanding