Milestone Achievement, Gen. Walter

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

D.S. Walter
Site Admin

Re: Milestone Achievement, Gen. Walter

Post by D.S. Walter »

njmurphy wrote:Congratulations, Gen Walter. You must have nearly every Union Army medal, position, rank and achievemnet at this stage!
Good Lord, no. For instance I never was a corps commander, nor a major, or a brigadier general. It was a rather funny and discontinuous carreer.
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
3/2/VIII AotS
ImageImage
"... and keep moving on."
D.S. Walter
Site Admin

Post by D.S. Walter »

tciampa wrote: ... but I would also guess without even examing the record that you did so with a stellar ratio of wins to losses ...
Actually I've known my share of defeats. I am one of the to my knowledge very few holders of the Purple Heart, awarded for a string of defeats in 2001 ... my overall record for these 10 years (not 12) is 75 victories to 28 defeats, with 23 draws. Decent, but by no means impressive.
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
3/2/VIII AotS
ImageImage
D.S. Walter
Site Admin

Post by D.S. Walter »

krmiller wrote:Congratulations Dierk, been a long time and a lot of OBD points since a certain Lieutenant asked me if I could arrange to get him transferred to the VIII Corps.
You still remember that? May of 2001, more than 10 years ago. I was unhappy in the then very old AotP which was full of colonels and generals and nobody seemed to care much for a new 1st Lt.; and I felt so insecure fighting against the real enemy that I had a string of maneuvers with what became my good friend Mike Tomlin, who was full of praise for the spirit of the then very new AotS which seemed a good place for newbies to be in, so I asked if I could come over. I was placed in the then not old, but in fact still forming 2/VIII with Mike Dean and Matt Perrenod, two other new 1st Lieutenants, under the command of Niall Murphy, who was already a major, as I recall (and boy was I impressed by his lofty rank!), and well ... I never looked back. :)
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
3/2/VIII AotS
ImageImage
D.S. Walter
Site Admin

Post by D.S. Walter »

nelmsm wrote:Congratulations Dierk! In your case I'm sure most of your points were earned with victories, however my points are a reflection on what longevity can do for you!
Well, actually you had me wondering there. I made 1,254 OBD points before the introduction of the DoR in 2005, so these cannot be analyzed, but of the 1,763 I made since then, fully 510 or 29% were admin, conduct, and award points; 225 alone for my 9 months as G-in-C. In the first half of my carreer I was gaming more, but I also had a combination of admin jobs, even if they were less well paid, so I guess the ratio will be similar there.

In any case, I do recall that many years ago, when I cared about rank and points, I know I was already #3 on the Union "Top Gun" list. Today, with 3,000 points, I find myself #6. So quite a few people have moved past me in my years of low activity. Also, in my early years in the club 1,000 points was quite an achievement, and 2,000 was near incredible. Today we have 51 active officers with 1,000+ points and 13 with 2000+. :)
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
3/2/VIII AotS
ImageImage
D.S. Walter
Site Admin

Post by D.S. Walter »

Joe Meyer wrote:This past month General Dierk Walter surpassed the 3,000-point mark and joins Generals Mark Nelms, Kelly Ross, Ernie Sands, Jeff Laub and Dave Danner as the seventh member of that club!
The sixth, isn't it? Ken Miller will be seventh within the month, I am sure. He is less than 20 points shy. :)
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
3/2/VIII AotS
ImageImage
D.S. Walter
Site Admin

Post by D.S. Walter »

Antony Barlow wrote:Congratulations Dierk! 8-)
Thank you, Antony. And thanks to everyone for their kind words. :)
Gen. Walter, USA
The Blue Blitz
3/2/VIII AotS
ImageImage
Dan Peterjohn

Post by Dan Peterjohn »

Congratulations General!!
Dan Peterjohn
General, United States Volunteers
Army of the Tennessee