Lt. Gen. Miller Receives Highest UA Service Award!

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

Joe Meyer

Lt. Gen. Miller Receives Highest UA Service Award!

Post by Joe Meyer »

OFFICERS OF THE ACWGC UNION ARMY,
ATTENTION TO PARADE!

CITATION FOR DEFENDER OF THE UNION COMMENDATION
LIEUTENANT GENERAL IAN MILLER

Lieutenant General Ian Miller, outgoing Commander for 3(2Cav) Cavalry Division, XVI Corps, Army of the Tennessee, is awarded the Defender of the Union Medal and Ribbon for his outstanding service as an officer of the ACWGC Union Army. This medal is presented to him on the endorsed recommendation of General Dan Peterjohn, AotT AC, which reads in part:

"Lt. Gen. Miller has a long and distinguished record as a leader in the Union Army. He has served as a Division Commander in the Army of the Tennessee for two years, stepping forward to take command when his predecessor was elevated to XVI Corps Commander. During those two years Lt. Gen. Miller has established an unbroken string of 100% Musters for his division. He has always promptly moved to support and assist the members of his division when they experienced difficulties. Prior to accepting division command in the AotT, Lt. Gen. Miller served as IX Corps Commander for a period of almost three years in the Army of the Ohio. Lt. Gen. Miller's willingness to devote his time and energy to the betterment of our club has set the example for all members of the ACWGC. Lt. Gen. Miller's efforts are worthy of recognition as a true 'Defender of the Union.' "

I have personally known Lieutenanat General Ian Miller to be among the most dedicated, capable and dependable officers, having had the privilege of commanding him in the Army of the Tennessee. His long term command of the Army of the Ohio's IX Corps extended from February of 2003 through May of 2007. As a UMA Instructor, he has graduated six cadets into the ranks and is currently involved with his seventh. Ian's existing record dates back to March of 2002 with 59 recorded actions.

His own biography, as he gave it to me some years back, is far more colorful than as his ACWGC service. He graduated from a Northern Ireland high school in 1969 and got his engineering dregree in 1973. He worked there in a power plant, also becoming a member of the Ulster Defense Regiment as a part-time "squaddie" for two years. He returned to grad school in 1975 and took a TA (National Guard) commission in 1977. He continued his power plant engineering in 1979 and became a part-time officer in the North Irish Horse, an armored recon unit, becoming an captain in 1983. His engineering career and his young family took him out of the military side of things from 1985 on. He then later became affiliated with the AES Corporation, a major power plant developer located in the United States and was assigned to various locations around the world in the design and construction of new power plants.

From 1994 to 2005 Ian and his wife made Pennsylvania their home, and it was early on in that time frame that Ian emlisted in Co. K, 88th New York Volunteer re-enactors, indulging his early boyhood fascination with the American Civil War. The unit is now disbanded, but provided back up security for the New York National Guard during the attack on 9/11. Irish Sergeant Miller and his compatriots took over the security of the New York National Guard amory when that unit was called out for service at Ground Zero. Ian's actual living history efforts were undertaken with the Co. B of the 42nd Pennsylvania Volunteers re-enactors ("Bucktails") and continued after 2005 when he and his wife moved back to Northern Ireland to be near their children and parents. There he bacame part of the 28th Massachusetts re-enactors for another four years, finally giving it up as he recounted to me as becoming too fat and old for most field duty other than that of piper! (Of course in the middle of all of that he also became a member of the ACWGC!)

Lieutenant General Miller has announced his retirement from the club to be effective at the turn of the year. He will be missed.

The DOU is the General's first such award.

OFFICERS OF THE ACWGC UNION ARMY,
Present, ARMS!
Order, ARMS!
Parade, DISMISSED!

Please join me in saluting this fine officer for his service accomplishments!
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

David Danner
AotC

Re: Lt. Gen. Miller Receives Highest UA Service Award!

Post by David Danner »

I salute you sir with drinks and good cheer. Backslapping and camaraderie all-around will be a must.
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e
C. Hecht
AotP

Re: Lt. Gen. Miller Receives Highest UA Service Award!

Post by C. Hecht »

What a career, my highest respect and gratitude to Lt. Gen. Miller and his deeds for the Union and ACWGC.

I'm sorry to see him retire, I'm sure not only his abilities will be missed but also he as a long standing club member will be missed by the rest of the club.

Salute!
Lieutenant General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac