Rifled cannon vs smoothbore against artillery targets

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

Tom Lifsey

Rifled cannon vs smoothbore against artillery targets

Post by Tom Lifsey »

I am fairly new to the club, playing my 4th game. My USA artillery seems very ineffective compared to my opponent's. I usually fire my 3 in rifles and 10lb Parrots at his guns and use the Naps and other smooth bores for his infantry. I try to pick targets within the effective range of the guns if possible and targets in clear terrain if possible. His guns just seem more effective, causing me to disrupt or rout. I rarely destroy 1 gun but he gets "crew killed" results often. I am guessing my stacking density could be a factor.

Are smoothbore guns effective against artillery targets?

Any advice from the more experienced players?

thanks.
Lt. Col. Tom Lifsey
3rd Brigade, 1st Division, XIVth Corps, AotC
Joe Meyer

Re: Rifled cannon vs smoothbore against artillery targets

Post by Joe Meyer »

Lt. Lifsey, I've moved your post from the Cadet's Canteen into here for a better response.

It has been my experience that Union artillery in the HPS/JTS games, properly handled, will give a good account of itself. It starts with an understanding of the potentcy of each type of gun found within the Parameter Data files of any of those games.

Most rifled pieces, especially the 3-inch Ordnance Rifle and 10lb Parrott Rifle when used for counter-battery fire, will have a fairly effective range of out to 12-13 hexes. Any further than that is just wishful thinking. Anything shorter will always increase your chances for a hit. The 6lb rifled pieces will only give decent service out to about the 7-hex range, and then only half as damaging as their larger cousins.

Smoothbore pieces, especially the 12lb Napoleon when used for soft targets, will begin to create some damage around the 9-hex range. All of the other smoothbore field artillery should only be used for close-in, well protected and entrenched support against infantry assaults. The Napoloeon can also be used for counter-battery fire, but will underperform to the 3-inch and 10lb Parrott rifles at the 5- to 13-hex ranges.

All of the above presupposes, of course, that you've unlimbered your guns on at least the same level as your targets and that, when engaged in counter-battery actions, that you are not outgunned yourself! (It also presupposes that you're at least aware of the morale factor of your gun crews. While most Union gun crews are rated a "C," there are a few "B" and "A" batteries out there from game to game that can really dish it out!) If you are firing from a lower elevation, expect your efficiencies to be reduced; and when at a higher elevation, expect them to be materially increased. The more time you spend looking over the ground for your artillery, the better results you will achieve.

As a personal note, I have found the most effective Union field artillery to be the very mobile, horse artillery rifled pieces. They are usually crewed with high morale factors and they can play havoc all over the place.
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

cameronm

Re: Rifled cannon vs smoothbore against artillery targets

Post by cameronm »

Lt Lifsey research has shown that a cannon with the letters CSA on the barrel tends to be between 10 and 15% more accurate :mrgreen:
Gen Cam McOmish
Georgia State Volunteers Brigade
Patrick R. Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corp
(1/1/1)
Confederate Army of Tennessee

CSA