Special Award Parade, Gen'ls Simms & Shaw

Official ACWGC Union Army General rank promotion announcements, command appointments and UA awards are made on the Parade Ground. The Mess Tent serves as a casual place for all club members to socialize, drink or have a meal, as long as they spend Yankee dollars! And, as much as we like to accommodate our Southron brethren, they will not be able to vote in any polls held here, or gain access to the restricted areas.

Moderators: shsober, Jim Boling

Joe Meyer

Special Award Parade, Gen'ls Simms & Shaw

Post by Joe Meyer »

OFFICERS OF THE ACWGC UNION ARMY,
ATTENTION TO PARADE!

It gives me great pleasure to award the following commendations to Lieutenant General Ned Simms and Brigadier General Douglas Shaw in recognition of their separate contributions involving two recent tournaments.

SIMMS CITATION

As becomes the traditions of the ACWGC Union Army and in keeping with the values of recognition for services rendered in its behalf, the following citation is presented.

Lieutenant General Simms made large contribution of his personal time and energy in developing and administrating the recent, 2010 single-elimination, High Tide Tournament, a very rigorous and challenging test of the skill levels of the participants entered. He maintained a high degree of oversight and direction which resulted in a very unique and memorable experience for those officers who participated. In addition, he recalled another dimension to tournament play that had not been experienced for a number of years.

SHAW CITATION

As becomes the traditions of the ACWGC Union Army and in keeping with the values of recognition for services rendered in its behalf, the following citation is presented.

Brigadier General Douglas Shaw volunteered his time and energy in representing the ACWGC Union Army in the developement, organization and monitoring of the 2010 Western Thunder Tournament. His capable administration of the tournament was undertaken in conjunction with a representative of the ACWGC Confederate Army, Colonel Stewart Stiles. General Shaw's experienced guidance and attention to duty contributed to a succesful and enjoyable experience of a wide number of officers from the ACWGC Union Army's Western Theater.

It is with no small amount of satisfaction and gratitude that I now present Lieutenant General Ned Simms and Brigadier General Douglas Shaw with the ACWGC Union Army's Distinguished Service Order, the second such career award for both officers.

OFFICERS OF THE ACWGC UNION ARMY,
Present, ARMS!...Order, ARMS!
Parade, DISMISSED!
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

ernie sands
USA Command Staff

Re: Special Award Parade, Gen'ls Simms & Shaw

Post by ernie sands »

<SALUTE>
General Ernie Sands, ACWGC
UMG Western Theater, Commander
(Former ACWGC President, 2015-2020)

ACWGC Records Site Administrator
krmiller_usa
AotS

Post by krmiller_usa »

Well deserved awards.

<SALUTE>
Gen. Ken Miller

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/3/I
CoS
AotP
mvdh

Post by mvdh »

Well deserved gentlemen! It's an honor to serve along side such gallant officers. (salute)
Maj Gen Mark van der Hagen
CO/2nd Deuce/XIV Corps/Army of the Cumberland
nelmsm
AotC

Post by nelmsm »

Well deserved Gentlemen! Ned, you can put that on your uniform next to that Purple Heart that George Washington gave you. :lol:
General Mark Nelms
6/2/XIV/AoC "Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
nsimms
AotC

Post by nsimms »

Thank you for the Distinguished Service Order. That kinda sounds like I should snap to and go scurrying off to comply with some directive – which I probably should but I can’t remember what the directive was. I would like to ask where I wear this medal, on the front of my uniform or on the back beside the Bull’s Eye Medal that Gen Nelms gave to me a long time ago?

That was the easiest group of tournament contestants that I’ve ever worked with. I had hopes that the majority of the club would sign up for the tournament since it offered different divisions so that everybody could relate to one playing style or another. However, I guess that I was wishing for too much. In big tournaments like that one, there is absolutely no shame in losing because everybody is going to lose except for one person. I’m still amazed that the same person won all three divisions. That’s something that I had not anticipated although the seeding system called it that way.
Gen Ned Simms
1/1/XIV Corps/AotC
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
David Danner
AotC

Post by David Danner »

Congratulations gentlemen--salute. Ned at your age maybe you should for-go the snap-to!!
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e
RTHodge
AotS

Post by RTHodge »

Here here! Ned...one of these days you're going to have to clear up this BCS muddle in college football with your seeding system.
General Hodgkiss
3rd Brigade 2nd Division Corcoran's Legion Army of the Shenandoah