Reporting for duty

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

A. McLeod

Reporting for duty

Post by A. McLeod »

Good day to you all.

I am Ash, from Sedgefield, South Africa. Very happy to be a part of the Union, so far enjoying my training. Look forward to being a value adding member of the fraternity.

I have been interested in all forms of warfare and history and found my true love in the early 90's with the Talonsoft release of John Tiller's East Front. I still play John Tiller Campaign Series more than anything else but through my love for JTCS I discovered the rest of the JTS games. Campaign Overland is the first ACW title from JTS that I have and I am really keen to better understand and learn the mechanics of the game.

I have however had a long interest in ACW since I first owned Sid Meier’s Gettysburg in the 1990’s – I sucked at it, and still suck at most real time strategies (I also have Battleplan American Civil War, Ultimate General ACW and Ultimate General Gettysburg – really bad at all of them) . I also still own Battleground Civil War from Matrix but have never really played it. I would love to own all the JTS titles in time – not just all the ACW titles, all of them in total. I currently own 34 of them (and some mods).

Thanks to Maj. Gen. Earle Cook ././XX, AotC for his patience and determination in my training.

Best regards,
Ash
R. Sickbert
AotP

Re: Reporting for duty

Post by R. Sickbert »

Welcome sir!

Glad to have you with us and hope you have some fun, make some friends and make frivolous the Rebel folly. :D
Lt. Gen. R. Sickbert
First Division, Fifth Corp
Army of the Potomac

S. Eichelberger
USA Command Staff

Post by S. Eichelberger »

Welcome, Cadet McLeod! Good to see you found your way to the Canteen. You're in good hands with Gen. Cook as your instructor, and he reports that you are doing quite well in all your studies at the Academy. We look forward to pinning on your shiny new Lieutenant bars soon and getting your sword into the fight to preserve the Union. I know you'll make many good friends here in our club, Ash -- even among our misguided cousins to the south. Best wishes for your success on the battlefield, sir!
Gen. Scott Eichelberger, ACWGC
Commander, 7/4/V, AotP
Asst. Superintendent, UMA
Union Cabinet Secretary
ernie sands
USA Command Staff

Post by ernie sands »

Welcome aboard!
General Ernie Sands, ACWGC
UMG Western Theater, Commander
(Former ACWGC President, 2015-2020)

ACWGC Records Site Administrator
Walt Dortch
USA Command Staff

Post by Walt Dortch »

Welcome Ash!

The desire to acquire seems to be particularly rampant with JTS games. I am happy I have been able to contain my urge mostly (but not totally) to the ACW and Napoleonic Series Games. Remember, JTS usually does a big sale each year and has a "bulk purchase" discount as well.

Here's to your success whipping Rebs!
ACWGC Club President
Union Army Eastern Theater Commander
Jim Boling
USA Command Staff

Post by Jim Boling »

Welcome, Cadet!

Looking forward to your graduation, followed by stunning battlefield exploits!

LONG LIVE THE UNION!
J.L. Boling
MG, USA
General-in-Chief
shsober

Post by shsober »

I'm delighted to see you continue your journey through the UMA! No worry about your skill level, there are plenty here still on that steep learning curve. Here you'll find no shortage of people who willing to help you learn and generous with their time.

Welcome!
Lt. Gen. Steve Sober, ACWGC
Army of the Potomac, 8/4/V
Union Army Cabinet Secretary
David Danner
AotC

Post by David Danner »

Welcome Cadet Ash. Drinks on your tab now but soon reciprocation will be the order of the day. Good luck and enjoy the many friendships you will make.
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e
L. Newell
AotT

Post by L. Newell »

Welcome Cadet Ash. Good luck in your training and hope to see you in the field soon.
General Lynn Newell
Commander
Army Of The Tennessee
C. Hecht
AotP

Post by C. Hecht »

Welcome to the ACWGC and the Union!
Lieutenant General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac