Salutations

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

M. Johnson
AotT

Salutations

Post by M. Johnson »

My name is Mitch Johnson and I just joined the Union Armies. I am from Detroit where I work for a Sporting Goods store. I haven't played strategic wargames for very long but so far find them more challenging than your average run and gun game. Thanks.

Mitch Johnson
shsober

Re: Salutations

Post by shsober »

Welcome, Cadet Johnson! It's great to see a younger crowd embrace the sabre in this venue. I strongly advise you to embrace yours as some of the older fa... gentlemen have a penchant for adding to their collection of "unclaimed" articles of cadet paraphernalia.

Allow me to be the first to toast your arrival and wish you much success in your endeavors.

As many here know, I take drinking as a Sober responsibility and I'm always seeking to be more responsible!

<Salute>
Lt. Gen. Steve Sober, ACWGC
Army of the Potomac, 8/4/V
Union Army Cabinet Secretary
S. Eichelberger
USA Command Staff

Post by S. Eichelberger »

Welcome to the Union, Cadet Johnson!

Great to have you in our club, Mitch. Gen. Sober speaks quite highly of you and is eager to get you commissioned and into a brigade command in short order. I believe you will have a great time making new friends and enjoy many a friendly battle here!

All the best,
Gen. Scott Eichelberger, ACWGC
Commander, 7/4/V, AotP
Asst. Superintendent, UMA
Union Cabinet Secretary
David Danner
AotC

Post by David Danner »

Hi Mitch:

Welcome to the ACWGC. You will love the friends you will attack and shoot, I have. I've been playing these games for 19 years and still enjoy. Also, still playing softball at 77.

Good luck to you and have loads of fun.
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e
ernie sands
USA Command Staff

Post by ernie sands »

welcome.
General Ernie Sands, ACWGC
UMG Western Theater, Commander
(Former ACWGC President, 2015-2020)

ACWGC Records Site Administrator
Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

Michigan has a rich history of its involvement in the American Civil War. Glad to have you going through your paces at the academy, especially with "The Sober One!"

I suppose that there are many more individuals out there who think that the "run and gun" games are the greatest thing to spend time with. But I've got to tell you, Cadet Johnson, that the particular mode of competition in the ACWGC far exceeds that other game arena in personal satisfactions. We have taken these excellent simulations and built an environment around them that completely adds to their enjoyment and education. But we also make plenty of room for those who simply regards themselves as "gamers." But there I go, off on another unbidden advertisement for the club.

What really catches my eye is that glittering row of buttons you have on that cadet's coat. Why it must be one recently put together from the New York Tiffany contractors! Such workmanship far exceeds our normal uniform arsenals, and is highly sought after by collectors! May I ask you to take it off so that I can better examine it? Oh, don't worry about regulations here in Benny's! We are all in good cheer and I'll be happy to treat you to one of Benny's winter-time toddies. Why after one or two of them you'll be glad to kick back and tell us all about Detroit's fascination with sports. I hear that the city is just now fielding a number of those new "base ball" teams! Quite the thing, quite the thing, indeed.

ARE THOSE THE NEW BOOTS THAT THE ACADEMY HAS ADOPTED?!!! I must examine those, too!
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

C. Hecht
AotP

Post by C. Hecht »

Welcome aboard!
Lieutenant General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
M. Johnson
AotT

Post by M. Johnson »

The fascination with ball teams in Detroit has run its course. Although we sell sporting good we don't sell them for our own teams much.

Happy to have met all.