New Cadet Paul Bowman

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

P. Bowman
AotP

New Cadet Paul Bowman

Post by P. Bowman »

Cadet Paul Bowman reporting as ordered.

Reporting from England and ready to serve the rightful cause of the Union. I am already reasonably experienced at JTS PBEM (all periods) and have already enjoyed playing the historic scenarios of 1st Bull Run, Cedar Mountain, South Mountain, Antietam and Gettysburg. I have also enjoyed Ageod Civil War 11 PBEMs. Although I will be a mere digital commander making the journey to fight for the Union, I am proud to report that I will be following the path of three family members, all born in England, who served throughout the Civil War.

One served in the 144th Regiment New York Infantry and 1st Regiment New York Engineers, and his cousins (two brothers) in the 15th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry. I find it remarkable that one voluntarily left the safety of England to enlist in his brother’s regiment in July 1862. Their regiment was part of the 9th corps at Fredericksburg, fortunately escaping the carnage of Burnside’s attack on Marye’s Heights. However, I’m afraid to report that close to the end of the war, at the battle of Wise’s Forks, March 1865 (North Carolina), their regiment was enveloped and the brothers forced to surrender!

I am looking forward to the battles to come against those who choose to fight for the rebellious secessionist cause.

<SALUTE>
shsober

Re: New Cadet Paul Bowman

Post by shsober »

Welcome to the club, sir. It seems you'll hit the ground running after you've had a chance to get familiar with the depth of our labors!

I'd be interested to hear your assessment of ACWII, it was the game which brought me here but few have any experience. Do you consider it pretty well balanced? I've been playing Gary Grigsby's WBTS but wonder if it favors the South as I've heard it said.

<Salute> to you and your Yankeeish ancestors!
Lt. Gen. Steve Sober, ACWGC
Army of the Potomac, 8/4/V
Union Army Cabinet Secretary
P. Bowman
AotP

Post by P. Bowman »

Brig. Gen. Steve Sober,
Thank you for your welcome. With regards to your question I have played through a few Civil War II PBEM games and found the experience immersive and instructive. There is much the game can teach about the logistics of the real war. On the AGEOD forum there is great deal of advice as to how best to play each side. I think the game does a pretty good job with balance. To be sure it’s a harder ask to win as the South with a knock out win against an experienced Union player. But I like the way the game can be played to the end without either side getting an ultimate victory. From my experience the game encourages players to research the real war and try out different possible strategies which can be argued to be historically plausible.
Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

That's quite a heritage, Mr. Bowman! It sounds as if you know precisely where you want to be, and we're glad to see you here!
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

S. Eichelberger
USA Command Staff

Post by S. Eichelberger »

Great to have you on board with us, Paul. Welcome! <Salute>
Gen. Scott Eichelberger, ACWGC
Commander, 7/4/V, AotP
Asst. Superintendent, UMA
Union Cabinet Secretary
C. Hecht
AotP

Post by C. Hecht »

Welcome aboard!
Lieutenant General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
ernie sands
USA Command Staff

Post by ernie sands »

Welcome. Even those of us from the US have a time tracking ACW ancestors!
General Ernie Sands, ACWGC
UMG Western Theater, Commander
(Former ACWGC President, 2015-2020)

ACWGC Records Site Administrator