Intro

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

NHL

Poll ended at Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:17 am

Who will win Lord Stanley's cup this yer?
100%
Years MVP
No votes

Total votes: 3

B. Scott

Intro

Post by B. Scott »

Gentlemen:
Let me start out by saying it is an honor to be able to join such a prestigious club. I will will work diligently to earn my stripes.

I am a "elderly player" who joined the world of war games very late in life. But as I have now been at it for a number of years now, I have grown to enjoy the experience. As a Canadian I am fond of all types of games.
My regular games at the moment are all PBEM>
Order of Battle
Battle Acadamy
Battle Acadamy2
Gettysburg, The Tide has Turned
Field of Glory2
Strategic Command WW2 The World at War

Games I own but have played very little:
Wars of Napoleon
Advanced Tactics Gold
Civil War2
The reason for not playing much of the above is I really like PBEM and these game are available for that but have been unable to understand the turn system for multiplayers.
About myself. I am a long time retired Toronto Fire Fighter and lived in Toronto unto moving a hour and a half outside into a small town. Enjoy war games but was always too busy to really get into them. I am from a little town out in Manitoba Canada. Enjoy BB and hockey and very much involved in fantasy sports. Looking forward to the Leafs having a great year.
That's about it guys. Drop me a line some time okay. I will be buying club games as I learn more.
Take care out there.

Bob
R. Sickbert
AotP

Re: Intro

Post by R. Sickbert »

Good Day Sir,

Welcome to the Union Army and to the ACWGC. I think you will find much in the way of good wargaming fun here. Wishing you many hours of a fine fight.

Good luck and happy hunting.

<Salute>
Lt. Gen. R. Sickbert
First Division, Fifth Corp
Army of the Potomac

Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

Well, Bob, its always interesting to see a guy from Canada come on down and put on the blue! The Maple Leafs go back quite a few years, and I remember watching Frank Mahovich on TV in some of those Cup games. That was when Minnesota was known as the North Stars. I try to keep up with the San Jose Sharks these days, being out here in Northern California. My Dad played hockey growing up in Duluth, and he took us kids to see some Olympic hockey when it was held at Squaw Valley in '60. I recall watching the Swedes and Russians come crashing into the corner, sending ice spray right over the top of the plexiglass where I was standing.

We've been fighting this war in the ACWGC since 1997, and there's no end in sight yet. The rebs . . . , they just keep coming and we keep meeting them over and over. Some of our computer keyboards have lost their letter print and our mouses have been worn down to the nibs. I've gone through three computer rebuilds. But the war goes on and on.

You might find yourself called down to General Danner's office, there at the academy. If so, make sure that you don't take off your cap or gloves. Danner will confiscate them on some pretext and then sell them to the next cadet! I frequently run into him at Willard's each month and he always tries to make me tell him where my liquor stash is kept. The man is always running off on some leave or R&R, having a good time doing this or that, while the rest of us slog on through our campaigns and duties. ;)
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

Derald Riggs

Post by Derald Riggs »

Welcome to the Union Army.
General Derald Riggs
Union Army, Commanding

Michael Osborne
AotP

Post by Michael Osborne »

Welcome, Cadet Scott. Hope to be hear regularly of your battlefield exploits. I can say that you would most certainly be welcome in the Army of the Potomac after completing your UMA training, but will find great camaraderie and fighting spirit in whichever field army you ultimately call home.
General Michael Osborne
1st Bde/1st Div/I Corps (USA)
"The Iron Brigade"
B. Scott

Post by B. Scott »

Gentlemen:
I most sincerely accept your blessings. I only trust and pray that I can be a benefit to the cause.

regards

Cadet Scott
ernie sands
USA Command Staff

Post by ernie sands »

WRONG!!!! Gently aged is a better term. :mrgreen:

Welcome aboard
General Ernie Sands, ACWGC
UMG Western Theater, Commander
(Former ACWGC President, 2015-2020)

ACWGC Records Site Administrator
C. Hecht
AotP

Post by C. Hecht »

Welcome aboard Cadet Scott!
Lieutenant General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
nelmsm
AotC

Post by nelmsm »

Welcome Cadet Scott! Now if you will turn loose of some of that fine Canadian whiskey which I enjoy so much I'll tell you about the time I was in Vermont buying maple syrup for the army and just happened to be in St. Albans when those scalawags robbed the bank there. Even though I was only armed with a tree tap and nothing to ride but a milk cow I managed to chase those scoundrels out of town and all the way into Canada.
General Mark Nelms
6/2/XIV/AoC "Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
David Danner
AotC

Post by David Danner »

Welcome Cadet Scott. The ACWGC is the best outfit and we have dropped a previous 54, 40 or fight doctrine from our miscellaneous rules as a welcome. The whole idea is to have fun, so have some.
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e