Cadet Eichelberger Checking In

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

S. Eichelberger
USA Command Staff

Cadet Eichelberger Checking In

Post by S. Eichelberger »

Greetings, Gentlemen (and Ladies?)
I would offer to buy you a round but my pockets suddenly appear empty following the first round with my instructor, General Danner. Speaking of that fine officer—what gentlemanly restraint and endless patience he has exhibited during a past week of training me in the profession of arms. Why just the other day, when I had inadvertently exposed one of my forward batteries, he gently remarked to me, “What is the meaning of this, sir? You have disobeyed my specific orders! By your damnable negligence you are endangering the safety of the entire army, and, by God, I will not tolerate it! Move your artillery back at once as I have instructed, or the consequences will not be pleasant for yourself!”

In all seriousness, General Danner has been an incredibly patient instructor with a first-time PBEM player, kindly pointing out my rookie mistakes and suggesting corrective courses of action. Still there is the matter of the inexplicable absence of my epaulettes and academy saber, purchased in my final year at the Academy by my sainted widowed mother. But to rally me from my despondency, General Danner invited me to a round of drinks, funded by an apparently unexpected windfall of good fortune and sudden wadges of cash. He even offered to share a glass of Madeira, which apparently was unexpectedly gifted by his good friend, General Meyer.

I look forward to joining my sword soon to the Union line of battle. General Danner believes that if I am somehow able to graduate, I am destined for unique command billets commensurate with my demonstrated leadership ability such as Brigade Urinalysis Control Officer, or perhaps aide-de-camp to General Butler. (He assures me that “Beast” is a term of affection bestowed upon that officer by his many admirers.)

I remain, in all respects, obediently yours,
Scott
Gen. Scott Eichelberger, ACWGC
Commander, 7/4/V, AotP
Asst. Superintendent, UMA
Union Cabinet Secretary
nsimms
AotC

Re: Cadet Eichelberger Checking In

Post by nsimms »

Welcome Scott. Let me give you a few pointers. Those people are vicious, forever striking your flank or your rear, refusing to give an inch, bold beyond words, capable of striking anytime and anywhere, and you're hurting if you're looking for a meal or two from them once you've crossed their line. But enough about Generals Danner and Meyer, lets talk about the Rebs. You go first because I haven't learned much in my 18.5 years with the club. Don't worry about your mistakes because most of us have been there and some of us are still there. It certainly helps to play people that are better than you are but not all of the time (losing every game can take the edge off having a good time). Although winning from time to time is certainly enjoyable, the primary joy is the people that you'll meet. Of course the historical flair and the challenge enter into the equation also. But welcome aboard, saddle up, and go whip some Rebs.
Gen Ned Simms
1/1/XIV Corps/AotC
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
nelmsm
AotC

Post by nelmsm »

Believe General Simms as he is one of those Galvanized Yankees as he first attained high rank with the Confederates before he got tired of whipping my rear end and decided to switch sides. Now I've got a boatload of advice but first we'll have to see if your credit is good at this establishment as my throat is already feeling a bit parched. However if you were to come up with a bottle I'll tell you that have a good time playing and don't be afraid to ask questions even if you have to speak loudly into General Simms' tin ear. Now if you come up with a second bottle I'll tell you about the time I fought my way back to our lines with nothing but a rusty spoon and a mule after being surrounded by General Nathan Bedford Forrest himself. :shock:
General Mark Nelms
6/2/XIV/AoC "Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
ernie sands
USA Command Staff

Post by ernie sands »

Good luck.

I am sure you will find much deserved platitudes for your upcoming battles with those dastardly Southron devils.
General Ernie Sands, ACWGC
UMG Western Theater, Commander
(Former ACWGC President, 2015-2020)

ACWGC Records Site Administrator
S. Eichelberger
USA Command Staff

Post by S. Eichelberger »

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your kind & encouraging words. I forgot to add a quick note about my background: Born & raised in eastern PA, served 22 years as an Army aviator (UH-1, UH-60, AH-64), now “retired” to western NC.

In all seriousness, General Danner has been an outstanding instructor. I am enjoying the challenge of a human opponent instead of the weak “Nathaniel Banks” AI and looking forward to whipping the rebs upon graduation. Just wished I had joined this club years ago when I first dabbled in the Talon Soft Battleground series. But glad for the chance now to fully enjoy JTS campaigns via PBEM (quick shout out to JTS support – they’ve been terrific!).
Gen. Scott Eichelberger, ACWGC
Commander, 7/4/V, AotP
Asst. Superintendent, UMA
Union Cabinet Secretary
Derald Riggs

Post by Derald Riggs »

Cadet Eichelberger:

My son is currently flying the AH-64e.

Welcome to the Union Army!
General Derald Riggs
Union Army, Commanding

David Danner
AotC

Post by David Danner »

My complements Scott and welcome to the Club. Be mindful of gentlemen like Mark Nelms and Ned Simms. They will take your lunch money for fun and frolic but they will have your back in a desperate situation. Have fun with our Club Scott and I know you will fare well. Salute.
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e
Pete Russo
AotT

Post by Pete Russo »

Sir Salute!

welcome to the club/Union Army....

Pete

Lt.General Pete Russo
XVI
Army of the Tennessee
Lt. Gen. Pete Russo, ACWGC
XVI Corps, Union Army of the Tennessee
Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

Well, you've certainly done it now, Cadet Eichelberger. You've cast in with a bunch of miscreants who will not hesitate to rob and rib you at first opportunity. Did you know that General Danner has an open account with Moriarty's in Washington to supply them with UMA issued coats, gloves, hats, belts and buttons in return for his Maderia wine? That's why I don't feel so bad pilfering from him. Simms will slap you on your back while he deftly removes your purse, and Nelms won't hesitate to tell you the most outrageous stories (even more outrageous than mine) while measuring your boots. General's Riggs and Sands have been known to walk through the empty barracks while the cadets are on parade, and Pete Russo will offer to help you send money home! :shock:

Oh, I suppose that they and all of the other gentlemen that post here are actually warm-hearted and earnest officers who are just encouraged to see another like-minded individual such as you throw himself into this great endeavor to end the rebellion, which has been going on since 1997. And there are many fine people over there across the line that you will come to meet in future months and years, just as devoted to their cause as we are; that cause being to make a friend while having an interesting challenge. I can almost guarantee you that there will be no "Butler's in grey" lounging about to fall prey to your guns; you will find, instead, many accomplished and avid competitors who will be more than happy to demonstrate to you how the South should have won the war.
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

M. Lichtenberg
AotC

Post by M. Lichtenberg »

Welcome to the club. Best of luck to you on the digital battlefield.

Mark

Mark Lichtenberg
Lieutenant General, United States Volunteers
Army of the Cumberland
Commanding