Cadet Tony Belcher on the firing line

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

Tony Belcher

Cadet Tony Belcher on the firing line

Post by Tony Belcher »

Hi all,

A long time player of John Tiller games, mostly Napoleonic with some dub dub 2, who would like to sharpen their Civil War tactical skills.

Having become somewhat skilled at using cavalry to force Napoleonic line infantry into squares I'm finding the need to go back to school for this different era. Civil War cavalry doesn't seem to work like that ;-)

I started playing PC wargames in the mid 1990s - in the old Talonsoft days - but somehow never quite got onto Battleground Gettysburg. After that I took a long detour into the world of tabletop miniature wargames - ancients in 15mm metal mainly (rulesets: DBA, DBM, FoG), with... again... some WW2.

The tabletop club scene here in Australia is becoming somewhat old and moribund so I'm moving back to PC games. There's a vast world of game groups and clubs in cyberspace these days. Plus no need to paint and base my pixel armies, which means more time for actual gaming. I'm going to miss the craft aspects of painting up armies and making terrain but there's no getting around the fact that it's a giant time-sink.

cheers

Tony
Derald Riggs

Re: Cadet Tony Belcher on the firing line

Post by Derald Riggs »

Tony:

Welcome to the Union Army. We are glad to have a member from "down under." Hopefully you will find your experience with the club enjoyable. My experience has gained me some additional friends through common interest.
General Derald Riggs
Union Army, Commanding

M. Lichtenberg
AotC

Post by M. Lichtenberg »

Welcome Cadet Belcher.

Glad to have you join us for some mid 19th century war gaming.

Mark

Mark Lichtenberg
Lieutenant General, United States Volunteers
Army of the Cumberland
Commanding
Joe Meyer

Post by Joe Meyer »

Thank for that post, Tony. I hope that you are finding your academy training to be both enjoyable and informative. Don't be shy about asking questions or giving your opinion about things. The ACW period is an interesting and attractive lure for the military historian and buff. The scope of games offered is fantastic and you'll seldom be refused a challenge to play. We've been fighting our opponents over there in the Confederate Military Group for the last 20 years and there's no end in sight yet! They just keep coming, even when we beat them down badly. "They're an arrogant people, ya know!"

Oops, I almost forgot to warn you about General Riggs. The last time he graduated a cadet, he managed to steal the cadet's brand new sabre the day after and pawned it off for drinking money. The cadet complained to the UMA Superintendent, General Danner, but that officer sent the cadet on his way without his hat and gloves as "payment for the appointment." Danner was later seen sitting outside Riggs's quarters, the two of them smoking cigars and downing what appeared to be the third of fifteen bottles. I'm afraid, Tony, that you've fallen in with a bunch of rascals! :lol:
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

David Danner
AotC

Post by David Danner »

Hi Tony:

Good to hear that you are having some fun. Should you need any new epaulets for your uniform General Meyer has great wadges of cash. Welcome.
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e
C. Hecht
AotP

Post by C. Hecht »

Welcome to the club & to the Union cadet Belcher, we always need people who join our cause in putting down the rebellion.
Lieutenant General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
Michael Osborne
AotP

Post by Michael Osborne »

Welcome to the ACWGC, Cadet Belcher.
General Michael Osborne
1st Bde/1st Div/I Corps (USA)
"The Iron Brigade"
ernie sands
USA Command Staff

Post by ernie sands »

Welcome.
General Ernie Sands, ACWGC
UMG Western Theater, Commander
(Former ACWGC President, 2015-2020)

ACWGC Records Site Administrator
R. Sickbert
AotP

Post by R. Sickbert »

Welcome Sir! It is great to have you with us.
Lt. Gen. R. Sickbert
First Division, Fifth Corp
Army of the Potomac