Cadet Tinling reporting for duty.

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

Joe Meyer

Re: Cadet Tinling reporting for duty.

Post by Joe Meyer »

Steve, I'm going to warn you about a few of these guys as they come in to grab a beer or two. They are opportunists of the worst sort and will rob you of your boots and hat as soon as you're not looking! Ernie Sands has a penchant for gloves, and Riggs likes to slap your back as he removes your sidearm. :P As your Instructor I, of course, am prohibited from engaging in such conduct, nor would I otherwise consider such pranks (except when they might involve coat buttons!) They all strive to make the cadet feel welcomed by sending him back to the academy minus a few objects, thus passing on to him a aura of rascality that will serve you well in your future clashes with the rebels.
General Jos. C. Meyer,
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
(2011-2014 UA GinC)

C. Hecht
AotP

Post by C. Hecht »

Welcome Cadet Tinling to the ACWGC and to the Union Army, we can always use a dedicated officer to beat the heel out of those rebels.
Lieutenant General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
Steve Tinling
AotP

Post by Steve Tinling »

Well what is a wet behind the ears recruit to do? I'm already being asked to request a post to the Army of the Cumberland in the west. They don't even know if I can hit what I shoot at or whether I've been fillet or enfilade or both at the same time. Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I'm going to call it a night though. Although from what I know of Union honor, I expect that in the morning I will find my sidearm, hat, gloves, and buttons(!) will have been delivered to my barracks with a perfumed note from miss Lilly informing me that they we discovered in a pile behind the bar and also with a time and location for a small tete-a-tete. Assuming that I haven't graduated and been sent to a new posting.
First Division, V Corps
Steven P. Tinling, Ph.D.
Michael Osborne
AotP

Post by Michael Osborne »

Well, Mr Tinling, I am man enough to admit that my insertion of a "g" where it didn't belong was certainly due to a combination factors you speculated on, and more: Yes, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Yes, my two-fingered typing is embarrassing at best. Yes, the gin has dulled my attention to detail (though it also keeps me from caring too much about what wet-behind-the-ears recruits think about anything :lol: ). And yes, trying to lead the Union's premier Field Army has made me put proofreading low on the priority list when it comes to my dedication of time and attention. :P

[All in jest, my good man. I am sincerely looking forward to your contribution to the success of the AotP!]
General Michael Osborne
1st Bde/1st Div/I Corps (USA)
"The Iron Brigade"