Greetings fellow Cadets!

A place for UMA Staff and Cadets to practice their forum skills and provide commentary upon their training and game questions. Field army officers and commanders may also participate at their liberty.
Benny Havens was the name of the tavern built beneath the Hudson River bluffs adjacent to the West Point Academy. (See: https://westpointcivilwar.wordpress.com ... allen-poe/)

Moderators: shsober, S. Eichelberger

Milt Taylor

Greetings fellow Cadets!

Post by Milt Taylor »

Greetings Gents,

I am Cadet J. Milton Taylor. (Just call me Milt ... only my mother calls me Milton).

I hail from Northern Ohio and currently live in Cleveland. I have been a board gamer since my youth but was never one for solitaire. Good opponents who share my hunger for competition are thin on the ground, however. The idea of belonging to a club of like minded souls drew me to your ranks.

I have the Battleground set (Antietam, Bull Run, Chickamauga, Gettysburg, Shiloh). I have whipped the contemptible AI in all of them. My specialty, however, is Gettysburg. I have not tried the HPS games or any of the others listed by the club but would not be opposed to buying them and learning them. I'm a quick learner and love a challenge.

I am looking forward to the experience of contest by email. A hardy handshake to you all.

Respectfully submitted,

Cadet J. Milton Taylor
Derald Riggs

Re: Greetings fellow Cadets!

Post by Derald Riggs »

Welcome to the Union Army!
General Derald Riggs
Union Army, Commanding

David Martin

Post by David Martin »

Welcome Cadet Taylor!!!!!

You are joining the best! Learn from your instructor and always remember to have fun!

David
Lieutenant General David Martin
First Brigade
First Division
First Corps
Army of the Potomac
C. Hecht
AotP

Post by C. Hecht »

Welcome aboard.

I never had one of the Battleground games but I heard the HPS/JTS series was "evolved" from the BG series so I guess HPS/JTS is superior in at least some points.
You obviously want to consider the "Campaign Gettysburg" as starting point but you could also ask on the main form for a recommendation where to start, HPS/JTS are now at 12 games for the Civil War series and that's a big pool to choose from.
Lieutenant General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
Milt Taylor

Post by Milt Taylor »

Thank you all for the welcome!
David Danner
AotC

Post by David Danner »

Hi Milt: Welcome to the Club. I hope you get assigned to the AotC because it is the best Army in the Union and generally you can get a free drink at the Tavern. Good luck to you and happy gaming.
General Dave Danner
Commanding Cumberland Rifles Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e
Milt Taylor

Post by Milt Taylor »

Derald Riggs wrote:Welcome to the Union Army!
Thank you, General Riggs!
Milt Taylor

Post by Milt Taylor »

David Martin wrote:Welcome Cadet Taylor!!!!!

You are joining the best! Learn from your instructor and always remember to have fun!

David
Thank you General Martin! So far the training has been superb and much fun, indeed. My instructor is excellent! I can hardly wait to graduate and wade into the Rebs!

Milt
Milt Taylor

Post by Milt Taylor »

C. Hecht wrote:Welcome aboard.

I never had one of the Battleground games but I heard the HPS/JTS series was "evolved" from the BG series so I guess HPS/JTS is superior in at least some points.
You obviously want to consider the "Campaign Gettysburg" as starting point but you could also ask on the main form for a recommendation where to start, HPS/JTS are now at 12 games for the Civil War series and that's a big pool to choose from.
Greetings Major Hecht!

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I am, indeed, going to download HPS Campaign Gettysburg.

What is your favorite game?

Milt
Milt Taylor

Post by Milt Taylor »

David Danner wrote:Hi Milt: Welcome to the Club. I hope you get assigned to the AotC because it is the best Army in the Union and generally you can get a free drink at the Tavern. Good luck to you and happy gaming.
Thanks for the welcome, David! Looking forward to that drink at the tavern. All the best to you, sir!

Milt